network sockets /linux 
Author Message
 network sockets /linux

Hi,

i have a small socket or linux problem: Can anybody tell me how to develop a
socket application reading IP messages which are not directed to my pc
(have an other IP adress)? I wrote a socket application, but it couldn't
access IP-messages directed to other pcs in the network.

thanks,

Guido

background:

i want to program a "router", which sends IP-Messages through a small bus.
Now i have a character device driver for this bus system and 2 linux
systems connected with this network. Due to the complexity of kernel
development I don't want to write a new linux network driver. so i decided
to develop an application which has a thread for listening to a
TCP/IP-socket from an ethernet card in the first PC and another thread for
reading messages from the bus simultanously.

pc1: 192.168.1.1     <----->    pc2: 192.168.1.2
  ethernet card         IP        no ethernet card
  my application     <----->      my application
        |              BUS              |
simple socket client            simple socket server

1.) the client trys to connect to the pc2, which is not in the ethernet
network.
2.) my application notices this request...
3.) ... and sends it through the bus (with the character device driver
functions)
4.) the application on the other side sends the message to the
IP-network(maybe to the loopback device) and this way directly to the
socket server.
5.) steps 1-4 in the other direction. pc2- pc1



Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:38:56 GMT  
 network sockets /linux

Quote:

> i have a small socket or linux problem: Can anybody tell me how

<rant>
On my system this, and the three immediately preceding messages,
are totally off-topic. I just wish I had a method of marking them
all, and then sending a single OT reply to them all, rather than
needing to ignore them.  How can people who seem to be intelligent
enough to find a newsgroup be so ignorant?  Maybe the ignorance is
in the people who are 'showing them' how to access newsgroups.
</rant>

--

   Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!



Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:41:10 GMT  
 network sockets /linux


Quote:

>> i have a small socket or linux problem: Can anybody tell me how

><rant>
>On my system this, and the three immediately preceding messages,
>are totally off-topic. I just wish I had a method of marking them
>all, and then sending a single OT reply to them all, rather than
>needing to ignore them.  How can people who seem to be intelligent
>enough to find a newsgroup be so ignorant?  Maybe the ignorance is
>in the people who are 'showing them' how to access newsgroups.
></rant>

I don't think you can ever solve this. As long as you have a newsgroup
called comp.lang.c it is going to attract people who have problems
related to C. It is going  to be the first place they will go. This
group should really be called else like comp.lang.std-c, then it would
not be such an obvious honeypot.

I'm sure this has been said before though.



Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:11:13 GMT  
 network sockets /linux

Quote:

> Hi,

> i have a small socket or linux problem:

Oops, sockets and Linux are completely off-topic here.  Try
comp.unix.programmer

Sean
--
Remove I-WANT-NO-SPAM from Email Address to reply.



Sat, 27 Aug 2005 23:50:32 GMT  
 network sockets /linux

Quote:


> > i have a small socket or linux problem: Can anybody tell me how

> <rant>
> On my system this, and the three immediately preceding messages,
> are totally off-topic. I just wish I had a method of marking them
> all, and then sending a single OT reply to them all, rather than
> needing to ignore them.  How can people who seem to be intelligent
> enough to find a newsgroup be so ignorant?  Maybe the ignorance is
> in the people who are 'showing them' how to access newsgroups.
> </rant>

Especially - doesn't the FAQ say that this group is for discussion
about strict C only and nothing system-specific is allowed?

:\

I'm a cl00less n00bie here, but even I know better than that (that's
why I posted one my C-related questions to comp.os.cpm instead of
here).

-uso.



Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:50:42 GMT  
 network sockets /linux

Quote:

> Especially - doesn't the FAQ say that this group is for discussion
> about strict C only and nothing system-specific is allowed?

The FAQ doesn't address topicality, that's how the maintainer wants it.
In fact, there are a number of entries there that would be off-topic for
the group. The Welcome Message does though:

"With that said, please keep in mind that comp.lang.c is a group for
discussion of general issues of the C programming language, as defined
by the ANSI/ISO language standard. If you have a problem that is
specific to a particular system or compiler, you are much more likely to
get complete and accurate answers in a group that specializes in your
platform."

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html

Brian Rodenborn



Sun, 28 Aug 2005 07:22:07 GMT  
 network sockets /linux

Quote:


> > i have a small socket or linux problem: Can anybody tell me how

> <rant>
> On my system this, and the three immediately preceding messages,
> are totally off-topic. I just wish I had a method of marking them
> all, and then sending a single OT reply to them all, rather than
> needing to ignore them.  How can people who seem to be intelligent
> enough to find a newsgroup be so ignorant?  Maybe the ignorance is
> in the people who are 'showing them' how to access newsgroups.
> </rant>

I guess with intelligent filtering on newsreaders one could filter all
posts which don't contain a certain word which would be mentioned in
the FAQ, such that anyone not reading the FAQ first would have their
posts removed unread from our client software. But i`m not sure many
newsreaders filter on anything other than the posters name/email
address and subject line, and having the word in the subject line
isn't really much good.


Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:22:00 GMT  
 network sockets /linux


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 network sockets /linux
Hi,

i thought,, sockets would be standard C.. but of course, it is system
specific. i got an interesting answer in an other newsgroup. so, calm
down... :-)

Guido



Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:48:10 GMT  
 network sockets /linux

Quote:

> i thought,, sockets would be standard C.. but of course, it is
> system specific. i got an interesting answer in an other
> newsgroup. so, calm down... :-)

The point is that, by reading the FAQ and lurking for some period,
you should have been well aware that it was OT here, and never
have generated all this useless traffic.  Just elementary polite
behaviour.

--

   Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
   <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>  USE worldnet address!



Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:47:00 GMT  
 network sockets /linux


Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 network sockets /linux

Quote:


> > Especially - doesn't the FAQ say that this group is for discussion
> > about strict C only and nothing system-specific is allowed?

> The FAQ doesn't address topicality, that's how the maintainer wants it.
> In fact, there are a number of entries there that would be off-topic for
> the group. The Welcome Message does though:

> "With that said, please keep in mind that comp.lang.c is a group for
> discussion of general issues of the C programming language, as defined
> by the ANSI/ISO language standard. If you have a problem that is
> specific to a particular system or compiler, you are much more likely to
> get complete and accurate answers in a group that specializes in your
> platform."

> http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html

> Brian Rodenborn

I know I was given the impression that if, say, I asked a question
that wasn't apropos to a strict implementation of ANSI C-89 I would be
flamed out of existence as the king of all lusing cl00less n00bies.
So I had a question about implementing a basic C library on CP/M-86 -
I asked the question about the required functions *here*, but I asked
the question about writing startup code to call main() on comp.os.cpm
(but didn't really get a response there...).

-uso.



Mon, 29 Aug 2005 06:25:45 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Windows Socket and Linux Socket

2. Program restart w pthreads & sockets under Linux

3. non-blocking read on socket (linux) ??

4. HELP -- Socket programming problem in Linux

5. linux sockets

6. Help with Linux sockets

7. Portable makefile - SunOD vs Linux - Socket libs

8. sockets in C & Linux

9. Windows Sockets Network Programming

10. Using fgets on a network socket

11. socket programming problem (network not reachable)

12. socket programming problem (network not reachable)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software