Largest double value ...
Author Message
 Largest double value ...

Hello -

What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

Thanks,

Joachim

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:01:57 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:
> Hello -
> What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
> cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

You're not looking hard enough. It's called DBL_MAX, and it IS in
limits.h.

"Insanity is to be shared."
   - Tailgunner

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:08:35 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> Hello -

> What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
> cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

It's in float.h: DBL_MAX

HTH, Tobias.

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:21:17 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:
>  What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
>  cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

That's because the macros that describe floating point features are
in <float.h>, not <limits.h>. For your specific question, see
DBL_MAX, which must be at least 1E+37.

Gergo

--
Today's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why.
                -- Hunter S. Thompson

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:26:24 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

>Hello -

>What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
>cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

Try DBL_MAX in <float.h>.

--
Stefan Farfeleder

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:30:57 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > Hello -

> > What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
> > cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

> You're not looking hard enough. It's called DBL_MAX, and it IS in
> limits.h.

No, it's in float.h.
--
Moving to Palo Alto, CA on September 20, 2001, to start PhD work
at Stanford.  Anyone want to hang out after that?

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:55:42 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> Hello -

> What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
> cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

That's because <limits.h> is for integer types:

#include <float.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
    printf("|Ranges| for floating types on this implementation:\n\n");
    printf("float: %g to %g\n", FLT_MIN, FLT_MAX);
    printf("double: %g to %g\n", DBL_MIN, DBL_MAX);
    printf("long double: %Lg to %Lg\n", LDBL_MIN, LDBL_MAX);
    return 0;

Quote:
}

|Ranges| for floating types on this implementation:

float: 1.17549e-38 to 3.40282e+38
double: 2.22507e-308 to 1.79769e+308
long double: 3.3621e-4932 to 1.18973e+4932

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:15:41 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > Hello -

> > What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
> > cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

> You're not looking hard enough. It's called DBL_MAX, and it IS in
> limits.h.

** BZZT **
No, it's not.

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:16:28 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

>> > Hello -

>> > What is the best way to get an expression for the largest double value? I
>> > cannot find a macro for it in limits.h.

>> You're not looking hard enough. It's called DBL_MAX, and it IS in
>> limits.h.
> No, it's in float.h.

Ah, fooled by the old "standard vs. implementation" trick. On the
system I was using (System V Unix), it WAS in limits.h. This made me
think it would always be there. I should really buy a copy of the ANSI C
standard one day...

"To err is human. To really louse things up takes a computer."
   - Anon

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:25:16 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> >> It's called DBL_MAX, and it IS in limits.h.

> > No, it's in float.h.

> Ah, fooled by the old "standard vs. implementation" trick. On the
> system I was using (System V Unix), it WAS in limits.h. This made me
> think it would always be there. I should really buy a copy of the ANSI C
> standard one day...

K&R2 would have been enough in this case, and should be already open, on
your desk, *all* the time.

:-)

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:46:19 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> K&R2 would have been enough in this case, and should be already
> open, on your desk, *all* the time.

Nah.  "less ~/doc/iso9899-1999.txt" works at least as well.

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:46:01 GMT
 Largest double value ...
Online documentation? Ick.

Quote:

> Nah.  "less ~/doc/iso9899-1999.txt" works at least as well.

--
== Eric Gorr ===== http://www.*-*-*.com/ :9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:07:49 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> Online documentation? Ick.

I can't grep dead trees.

Quote:

> > Nah.  "less ~/doc/iso9899-1999.txt" works at least as well.

--Brian Kernighan

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:39:18 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > K&R2 would have been enough in this case, and should be already
> > open, on your desk, *all* the time.

> Nah.  "less ~/doc/iso9899-1999.txt" works at least as well.

Not here. Chapter and verse please? ;-)

--
Tor <torust AT online DOT no>

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:12:23 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > Online documentation? Ick.

> I can't grep dead trees.

Sure you can, although it would likely be slower and, perhaps, require
another computer and other stuff.

I figure all you would need is something to turn the pages of the book,
a camera to take a photo of the page, something to turn those pictures
into text documents and then use the grep command to search that
converted text and report back to you what it found.

--
== Eric Gorr ===== http://www.*-*-*.com/ :9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
== Insults, like {*filter*}, are the last refuge of the incompetent... ===

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:39:45 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. addition long values to long double value ?

2. problem returning a very large double

3. Extremely large double precision...?

4. Rounding very large doubles

5. Value too large for defined data type

6. How C Handle Value Larger than 32 bit?

7. Largest Value of Integer

8. very large integer values

9. Setting Large (Binary) values in Registry

10. Setting large binary values in registry using RegSetValueEx

11. Formatting for large values

12. Largest Value revisited