Largest double value ...
Author Message
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > > Online documentation? Ick.

> > I can't grep dead trees.

> Sure you can, although it would likely be slower and, perhaps, require
> another computer and other stuff.

> I figure all you would need is something to turn the pages of the book,
> a camera to take a photo of the page, something to turn those pictures
> into text documents

Hence, ~/doc/iso9899-1999.txt.
--
"Some people *are* arrogant, and others read the FAQ."
--Chris Dollin

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:56:12 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > Nah.  "less ~/doc/iso9899-1999.txt" works at least as well.

> Online documentation? Ick.

Nah. Online docs aren't ick. (Though some online doc formats, and some
online doc readers, definitely are. But not plain text.) Not having
offline docs, now that's ick.

Richard

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:04:11 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > > Nah.  "less ~/doc/iso9899-1999.txt" works at least as well.

> > Online documentation? Ick.

> Nah. Online docs aren't ick. (Though some online doc formats, and some
> online doc readers, definitely are. But not plain text.) Not having
> offline docs, now that's ick.

Which is why I also have a big red binder with a print-out of C99
(and next to it a pair of big yellow binders with a print-out of
C++98).

--
Available for short-term C and Linux contracts through September 2001.

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:21:31 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > > Online documentation? Ick.

> > I can't grep dead trees.

> Sure you can, although it would likely be slower and, perhaps, require
> another computer and other stuff.

> I figure all you would need is something to turn the pages of the book,
> a camera to take a photo of the page, something to turn those pictures
> into text documents and then use the grep command to search that
> converted text and report back to you what it found.

ROTFL!

(Of course, you would also need the permission of the book's
copyright-holder...)

Come on, Ben - what are you waiting for? Go write an OCR lib...

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:53:36 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> ROTFL!

> (Of course, you would also need the permission of the book's
> copyright-holder...)

No, you wouldn't, if it was for your own personal use - at least that's
the way I understand the law.

--
== Eric Gorr ===== http://www.*-*-*.com/ :9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:08:44 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> No, you wouldn't, if it was for your own personal use - at least that's
> the way I understand the law.

(as long as you own the original book as well)

--
== Eric Gorr ===== http://www.*-*-*.com/ :9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
== Insults, like {*filter*}, are the last refuge of the incompetent... ===

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:26:14 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> > ROTFL!

> > (Of course, you would also need the permission of the book's
> > copyright-holder...)

> No, you wouldn't, if it was for your own personal use - at least that's
> the way I understand the law.

I'm a programmer, not a lawyer, but my understanding of the law differs
from yours here. (This may be because we live in different countries, of
course.)

If it matters to anyone, I suggest they consult an expert on their own
country's copyright law before actually implementing Eric's suggestion.

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:35:48 GMT
 Largest double value ...

Quote:

> If it matters to anyone, I suggest they consult an expert on their own
> country's copyright law before actually implementing Eric's suggestion.

It wasn't a suggestion on my part, just the mention of a possibility.

I'd never recommend someone attempt something so silly.

--
== Eric Gorr ===== http://www.*-*-*.com/ :9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
== Insults, like {*filter*}, are the last refuge of the incompetent... ===

Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:12:38 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]