Borland Linker Problem
Author Message
 Borland Linker Problem

Hi:

        We have a standard DOS application that is about 200K
        lines of code.  The code used to link and run in 16 bit
        mode in all version of Borland C prior to 4.0.  In the
        4.0 and 4.02 versions, the linker generates an error,
        that says TEXT exceeds 64K.  What can we do or set
        to bypass this linker error?  Thank you in advance.

Pete

PS  Borland's tech support is worthless.  Try Watcom for user
    friendly supoort.

Tue, 20 May 1997 06:25:12 GMT
 Borland Linker Problem

Quote:
(Peter B. Harrington) writes:

>Hi:

>    We have a standard DOS application that is about 200K
>    lines of code.  The code used to link and run in 16 bit
>    mode in all version of Borland C prior to 4.0.  In the
>    4.0 and 4.02 versions, the linker generates an error,
>    that says TEXT exceeds 64K.  What can we do or set
>    to bypass this linker error?  Thank you in advance.

>Pete

>PS  Borland's tech support is worthless.  Try Watcom for user
>    friendly supoort.

While inside the IDE Select options project , then select 16 bit
compiler/memory model. Then check Auto Far Data box and set the FAR
DATA Threshold down around 8K. I think this will fix the problem. Also
problem could be releated to the memory model, we always use large.

Tue, 20 May 1997 16:20:23 GMT
 Borland Linker Problem

Quote:
>Hi:

>    We have a standard DOS application that is about 200K
>    lines of code.  The code used to link and run in 16 bit
>    mode in all version of Borland C prior to 4.0.  In the
>    4.0 and 4.02 versions, the linker generates an error,
>    that says TEXT exceeds 64K.  What can we do or set
>    to bypass this linker error?  Thank you in advance.

If TEXT exceeds 64K, there is nothing you can do about it from the Linker's
end, you'll need to change your code. Split it up into two or more seperate
modules, and compile them in one of the far code memory models. This should
sort out your problem, as you now have more than one TEXT segment.

The problem is basically that the code generated by the compiler is to big to
fit into a single segment of memory, but your memory model is trying to
force the linker to use only one segment.

--

   Flames should be redirected to /dev/null - I don't know what
   I'm saying myself so don't expect it to make sense all the time!         */

Wed, 21 May 1997 00:11:35 GMT

1. Linker problem with Borland C++ v4.00

2. can borland c/c++ obj file be fed into microsoft linker

3. borland linker

4. PLS HELP linker err in Borland C++ 4.0

5. Borland OS/2 linker error ?

6. Borland C 4.0/4.5 Linker Error: Automatic Data exceeds 64K

7. Borland C 4.0/4.5 Linker Error Automatic Data exceeds 64K

8. borland c/c++ v.1 linker

9. Help please. Borland 3.1 linker error

10. Porting an Application from Borland (linker errors)

11. Windows programming with the Borland Paradox Engine: Linker errors

12. Newbie question: linker error with Borland Turbo C++