Circular Queues
Author Message
 Circular Queues

Quote:
> Can anyone pls elaborate the different implementations in Queues, what are
> the major differences? Whihc is most efficient and how to declare them??

Thank you

Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Circular Queues

Quote:
> Can anyone pls elaborate the different implementations in Queues, what are
> the major differences? Whihc is most efficient and how to declare them??
>Thank you

Hi there.  A detailed answer to this question is beyond the scope of
this newsgroup.  There are many different kinds of queues, such as
singly linked, double linked, bounded, unbounded, circular, priority,
fifo, lifo, as well as similar data structures that may provide you
with the specific properties you need such as heaps, d-heaps,
fibonacci-heaps, binary search trees, avl trees, red-black trees, and
hash tables, as well as higher level structures that may provide the
kind of operations that you want to use such as sets, graphs, and
polynomials.

For discussions about different implementaions of queues, along with
comparisons of their different strengths and differences, your best
bet is probably to address the readers of the comp.programming
newsgroup.  For examples of how such things are implemented in C, you
should consider purchasing a good data structures book that uses the C
programming language.  I recommend "Fundamentals of Data Structures in
C", but Sahni, Horowitz, and Anderson-Freed.

I hope you find an answer to your question.

--

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~jxh/        Washington University in Saint Louis

Quote:

Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Circular Queues

Quote:

>> Can anyone pls elaborate the different implementations in Queues, what are
>> the major differences? Whihc is most efficient and how to declare them??
>>Thank you

>Hi there.  A detailed answer to this question is beyond the scope of
>this newsgroup.  There are many different kinds of queues, such as
>singly linked, double linked, bounded, unbounded, circular, priority,
>fifo, lifo, as well as similar data structures that may provide you
>with the specific properties you need such as heaps, d-heaps,
>fibonacci-heaps, binary search trees, avl trees, red-black trees, and
>hash tables, as well as higher level structures that may provide the
>kind of operations that you want to use such as sets, graphs, and
>polynomials.

>For discussions about different implementaions of queues, along with
>comparisons of their different strengths and differences, your best
>bet is probably to address the readers of the comp.programming
>newsgroup.  For examples of how such things are implemented in C, you
>should consider purchasing a good data structures book that uses the C
>programming language.  I recommend "Fundamentals of Data Structures in
>C", but Sahni, Horowitz, and Anderson-Freed.

>I hope you find an answer to your question.

I agree strongly with the above.  I also recommend Robert Sedgewick's new
book.
Finally, this link will point you to all you ever wanted to know about data
structures, and queues in particular:
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/%7Eratib/code/

I used to maintain my own page of links, until I found the one above, which is
1000 times better than what I had.  In particular, you might enjoy the link to
Lee Killough's queues list.  It has lots of postscript papers of the highest
quality.
--
Hypertext C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
C-FAQ ftp: ftp://rtfm.mit.edu, C-FAQ Book: ISBN 0-201-84519-9

Fri, 25 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie needs help with circular queue

2. Please help -> circular queues

3. circular dependency using C# DLLs

4. VC7 interface circular reference bug

5. Modulo for a circular buffer?

6. Freeing Circular Lists

7. Circular dependancies whiel resolving symbols

8. C++ circular references

9. C++ circular references

10. Circular Reference

11. Finding circular ref. in linked list

12. Circular Reference