Getting started with sockets
Author Message
 Getting started with sockets

Quote:
>I have written some simple logging CGI scripts in C, and am now having
to move
>them over to a round-robin machine. I'm told that to do this requires
running a
>daemon on one machine and using sockets to connect to it, etc.

Ok, right there, let me say that you should consider using CORBA
rather than raw socket communication.  Have you ever written a
client/server application using sockets?  Most people have not and
don't realize how much low-level ugly code must go into properly
implementing even a simple application.  Also, socket communication
is typically forces good software developers to do bad things, like
creating a massive hole in their object model (if they are writing for
an object oriented language like C++) in order to provide some
way for objects to communicate with each other, usually by writing
data structures to define the packets, packet handlers on both the
client and the server, buffers to read potentially segmented data.
It's a mess as any socket programmer will happily tell you.

CORBA?allows you to write client/server application which
communicate with each other through remote invokations.
C programs can even use remote objects in C++?and Java programs
using an object handle mechanism which is defined in CORBA.
It is far easier than working with all the socket code yourself.
In fact, one way to think about it is that CORBA?simply does
all that for you and lets you work at a nice, high level without
bothering with the ugly, low-level.

Check out our web site for more information about CORBA.
We offer free evalution copies of our software so you can see
it in action.

                                                - Jeff
--
DiaLogos offers CORBA training, consulting, and implementation.
  CORBA allows programs to share objects with other programs,

Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting started with sockets

Jeff Nelson wrote [in reply to Ivor O'Connor]:

Quote:

> Ok, right there, let me say that you should consider using CORBA
> rather than raw socket communication.

Raw socket programming is not very meaningful, neither seems the case
here.

Quote:
> Have you ever written a
> client/server application using sockets?  Most people have not and
> don't realize how much low-level ugly code must go into properly
> implementing even a simple application.

Socket programming is not any harder than any implementation specific
coding.

Quote:
> Also, socket communication
> is typically forces good software developers to do bad things, like
> creating a massive hole in their object model (if they are writing for
> an object oriented language like C++) in order to provide some
> way for objects to communicate with each other, usually by writing
> data structures to define the packets, packet handlers on both the
> client and the server, buffers to read potentially segmented data.
> It's a mess as any socket programmer will happily tell you.

As a 'socket programmer' of some sort, i do NOT think it is a mess. As
far as the original poster only mentioned C programming, none of what
you're talking about is needed (i won't talk about C++ 'cause i don't
know a bit of it).

Quote:
> CORBA allows you to write client/server application [...snipped and uncommented]

I'm sorry i cannot access Ivor original posting, anyway to him my answer
would just be:

since THAT is the group you need.

I cannot help you further, just can say it sounds very strange making a
CGI a daemon.

Also try and have a look at the following page:
http://www.erlenstar.demon.co.uk/unix/ (c.u.p. FAQ and socket FAQ).

HTH, julio

Sat, 04 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting started with sockets

2. Getting Started With Windows Sockets

3. Socket Programming: How to get started

4. (Q)Process have multi thread after Socket started

5. Book for Getting Started in VS.Net?

6. Getting Started

7. Getting Started

8. newbie question - gcc under linux, getting started

9. Getting started in windows programming

10. Getting started to write a email client

11. Please forgive my greenery, just getting started

12. getting started on multitasking...