Reading Disks Directly (Hex Read)
Author Message
 Reading Disks Directly (Hex Read)

How can I read the bytes/words from a disk directly, by sector, from within
a C program. I tried using the Borland _Bios_Disk() function. This works
fine for floppies, but fails when reading a hard disk. The sector returned
has nothing to do with the sector requested in the latter case, assuming
that the read completes successfully at all.

-- Joe Gregor

Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading Disks Directly (Hex Read)

Quote:
> How can I read the bytes/words from a disk directly, by sector, from
within
> a C program. I tried using the Borland _Bios_Disk() function. This works
> fine for floppies, but fails when reading a hard disk. The sector
returned
> has nothing to do with the sector requested in the latter case, assuming
> that the read completes successfully at all.

You can't do this in ANSI C. You will need to take advantage of

platform-specific expert advice.

--
Richard Heathfield

"The bug stops here."

Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. how can i read/write to disk directly?

2. How to Directly Read Piped-Output as Input in C

3. reading output of a subprocess directly in C?

4. How to read double variable directly??

5. How to read directly off a audio cd

6. read / write directly to mem.

7. How to read Excel file directly?

8. Reading directly from sectors

9. Reading and writing in files directly with out using CArchieve - Reg

10. CRecordset trouble: Reading directly after an Update

11. Reading Hex from File and Putting it in a Packet

12. Reading Intel Hex files