Need very small C compiler for 8086
Author Message
 Need very small C compiler for 8086

would anyone know of a (free or shareware) very small c compiler that
i could run under dos on an 8086 with no hard drive, 512k ram, and a
720k 3.5" disk drive?  i know this sounds really stupid, but i have
a machine like this, and i would like to be able to write some simple
C code on it.

bern

Sat, 31 May 1997 06:26:30 GMT
 Need very small C compiler for 8086

Quote:
> would anyone know of a (free or shareware) very small c compiler that
> i could run under dos on an 8086 with no hard drive, 512k ram, and a
> 720k 3.5" disk drive?  i know this sounds really stupid, but i have
> a machine like this, and i would like to be able to write some simple
> C code on it.

Free or shareware? Tough one...

The only 2 free compilers that I know of which run under DOS are gcc ports
(e.g. djgpp) which most certainly won't fit on a floppy, and Micro-C which
is a small C in the sense that it only supports a subset (albeit a useful
one) of the language.

If you're willing to invest $20, you can always get Mix Power C which is
ANSI-compliant and can be run off of a floppy.

The shareware PCC compiler is the latest/last incarnation of the old
deSmet C compiler. Although you can download it for free, it's inferior to
Power C (its ANSI-compliance is particularly poor since it's essentially
1988 technology) and if you pay the registration fee, it's actually more
expensive than Power C.

MicroFirm: Down to the C in chips...
Home of SNIPPETS - Current release: SNIP9404.ZIP/LZH/ARJ/etc.
FidoNet 1:106/2000.6

Thu, 05 Jun 1997 07:13:58 GMT

1. Small (tiny) C compiler (286 / 8086)

2. small-c/8086 code generator wanted

3. Wanted: Small 8086 C with source?

5. Free 8086 C compiler

6. Searching for ansi-c-compiler for 8086

7. Possible C compiler bug on 8086 machines

8. Intel 8086 C Cross Compiler Wanted

9. C compiler for 8086 processor

10. Compiler for 8086 and Pentium

11. Best shareware compiler for IBM 8086

12. Need to optimize 8086 C code for size