prefetchnta instruction not in 386 instruction set
Author Message
 prefetchnta instruction not in 386 instruction set

I'm using gcc version 2.91.96 on a 2.2.16 kernel linux system on an AMD
700Mhz box.

All of a sudden, when compiling code that has any fetch instructions, I
get an error message from the assembler:

{standard input}:748: Error: no such 386 instruction: `prefetchnta'

In looking through various newsgroups, I don't see anything about this
type of problem.

I have compiled many, many things before.  I first noticed the problem
when I was compiling xine for linux and then again when I tried to
compile a 2.4.x kernel.  I have compiled kernel code many times also.

If anyone has any idea at all what might be causing this problem, I
would appreciate the insight.

TIA,

-- Kevin

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:07:14 GMT
 prefetchnta instruction not in 386 instruction set

Quote:

> I'm using gcc version 2.91.96 on a 2.2.16 kernel linux system on an AMD
> 700Mhz box.

> All of a sudden, when compiling code that has any fetch instructions, I
> get an error message from the assembler:

> {standard input}:748: Error: no such 386 instruction: `prefetchnta'

> In looking through various newsgroups, I don't see anything about this
> type of problem.

Keep looking, this isn't the place. Try comp.unix.programmer ...

However, it sounds like you could just reinstall gcc.

-Daniel

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:06:21 GMT
 prefetchnta instruction not in 386 instruction set

Quote:
>I'm using gcc version 2.91.96 on a 2.2.16 kernel linux system on an AMD
>700Mhz box.

>All of a sudden, when compiling code that has any fetch instructions, I

What code *DOESN'T* have fetch instructions?

Quote:
>get an error message from the assembler:

>{standard input}:748: Error: no such 386 instruction: `prefetchnta'

Some suggestions:

- This is off-topic in comp.lang.c, try a linux-specific newsgroup.
- What's on line 748?  Read your compiler manual to figure out
  how to compile and assemble separately (cc -S, perhaps?), so you
  can see what it is you are assembling.
- I thought GCC 2.95.2 was pretty old; how old is 2.91.96?
- Are you sure you don't need to reinstall your compiler/assembler/linker
  tool set?  Something like void main() can corrupt your whole disk.
- A NTA is a Nail Transfer Agent, commonly referred to as a hammer.

Quote:
>In looking through various newsgroups, I don't see anything about this
>type of problem.

>I have compiled many, many things before.  I first noticed the problem
>when I was compiling xine for linux and then again when I tried to
>compile a 2.4.x kernel.  I have compiled kernel code many times also.

Have you had anything unusual and BAD happen recently?  Like a system
crash caused by a power failure or kernel panic?

Quote:
>If anyone has any idea at all what might be causing this problem, I
>would appreciate the insight.

                                        Gordon L. Burditt

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:22:46 GMT
 prefetchnta instruction not in 386 instruction set

Quote:

> >{standard input}:748: Error: no such 386 instruction: `prefetchnta'

PREFETCH(h)  is an SIMD instruction, it's not included on the 386
instruction set. You need to have at least a processor that supports
SIMD instructions such as a pentium 3 or 4 or an AMD variation...

Try asking an intel/amd newsgroup or comp.lang.asm.x86 or alt.lang.asm
for more info on this.

Or try downloading 3 volume intel manuals. You need to enable SIMD on
your coompiler. Or try checking your compiler if SIMD supported or
not. If not, check out Intel's C++ Compiler - Linux Version.

Happy Coding!!! :)

Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:01:12 GMT

1. Question about assembly instruction on 386

2. BC++ 3.1, 386 instructions, register parameters.

3. BC++ 3.1, 386 instructions, register parameters.

4. PowerPC instruction set

5. minimal set of instructions to serialize CTypedPtrArray

6. Instruction Set??

7. 386 unix (was Re: 386 demand paged virtual memory)

8. Instruction ordering

9. what's an "Illegal Instruction"??

10. Counting the Assembler instructions in a block of C code

11. How to look for instruction in disassembly display

12. display user instruction in Turbo C 2.0