Help needed on virtual drive
Author Message
 Help needed on virtual drive

I am trying to write a program to create a virtual drive in DOS. I have a
new Pentium with no floppy drive and feel its a shame to let 80 floppies
go to waste. I have an old 386 which I can connect via a parallel cable,
which has the floppy drive on it.

I want to create a virtual drive on the new machine so that the floppy drive
will be recognised in DOS on the Pentium. This is much more convenient than
Laplink etc.It may be done be done by revectoring interrupts that use disk
drives e.g INT 021, INT 025, INT 026, INT 013 etc.

Is there a more elegent way of doing it? If I revector interrupts, must I do
them all?

Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed on virtual drive

:
:
: I am trying to write a program to create a virtual drive in DOS. I have a
: new Pentium with no floppy drive and feel its a shame to let 80 floppies
: go to waste. I have an old 386 which I can connect via a parallel cable,
: which has the floppy drive on it.
:
: I want to create a virtual drive on the new machine so that the floppy drive
: will be recognised in DOS on the Pentium. This is much more convenient than
: Laplink etc.It may be done be done by revectoring interrupts that use disk
: drives e.g INT 021, INT 025, INT 026, INT 013 etc.
:
: Is there a more elegent way of doing it? If I revector interrupts, must I do
: them all?

No, I think if you just revector int 13h you will find that ALL the other
interrupts eventually call it.  Well, at least when the device is known
to be IDE or FLOPPY.  In your case you want to revector to change the
DRIVE A: device so it should be enough just to fix the int 13h interface...

David

Tue, 07 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help needed on virtual drive

Quote:

>:
>: I am trying to write a program to create a virtual drive in DOS. I have a
>: new Pentium with no floppy drive and feel its a shame to let 80 floppies
>: go to waste. I have an old 386 which I can connect via a parallel cable,
>: which has the floppy drive on it.
... (snipped)
>: Is there a more elegent way of doing it? If I revector interrupts, must I do
>: them all?
>No, I think if you just revector int 13h you will find that ALL the other
>interrupts eventually call it.  Well, at least when the device is known
>to be IDE or FLOPPY.  In your case you want to revector to change the
>DRIVE A: device so it should be enough just to fix the int 13h interface...

Only problem is, DOS establishes which floppies exist at boot.  Your best bet
seems to be to trick the BIOS *before* boot (ie, in your BIOS setup, specify
that a floppy *is* attached; make sure it doesn't try to boot from it though).
DOS will then believe there is a floppy drive and will use int 13h to access it
- so you will only need to revector this interrupt!

I've never tried this however.  If BIOS (or DOS) tried to access the floppy
before your TSR was installed, there could be problems (an error message and
possible halting of the boot process).

As a complete alternative, just write a device driver to create an entirely new
drive, and then use SUBST (or an equivalent) to make A: reference the new drive.

Dav.

---------------------------------
      DavMac - Sharking!!

---------------------------------

Thu, 09 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. programmers virtual library- help needed

2. A virtual internet drive

3. Check Out this Virtual Drive!

4. Really need a function to search hard drive for a file - anyone help

5. Need help with how to find drive statistiscs for a disk (Dialog - Windows .cobol 3.2.50)

6. Need help driving VC++ IDE from script

7. Drive A is using MS-Dos Compatibility Mode File System -- NEED HELP --

8. Virtual Schooling a Virtual Reality?

9. Virtual Schooling a Virtual Reality?

10. virtual method call faster that non-virtual method?

11. Virtual 8086 Mode/Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM)

12. Virtual 8086 Mode/Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM)