Filesystem Specification?
Author Message
 Filesystem Specification?

Hi!

Does anyone know where I can get explanations about how the following
filesystems work on the sector level (i.e. what fields are in the
bootsector, how the directories and allocation tables are organized,
etc.)

MS-DOS 7 FAT 32
Windows NT NTFS
OS/2 HPFS
and perhaps ext2fs

All I really need is a very basic level; the main problem is how to
distinguish different filesystems without access to the partition table
(i.e. when it's defective), how to read the volume label (and how to
find the linux kernel). However, deeper understanding would be my next
target, for I'm considering to write own formatting/initialisation
routines. Anything above that level isn't necessary, I don't need to
write my own, fully functional file system drivers...

Thanks a lot for any help!

Ciao,
   Floh!

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. unexpected filesystem when installing - help!

2. Clipper 5.3b and NTFS Filesystem (NT4.0)

3. FileSystems

4. ext2 filesystem?

5. ANN: pyven-1.0.2 - userland filesystems in python

6. Location of Ruby modules in the filesystem

7. Scheme->C interface to unix filesystem wanted

8. Problem with FileSystem in FST compiler

9. FileSystem

10. Bug in FST Filesystem module

11. Looking for Filesystem visulisation pref VRML

12. Filesystem access in Scheme: API standards?