"Real big" mode under DOS 7.0
Author Message
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Hi -

I have been implementing some graphical applications using "real
big"or "real flat" mode under DOS 6.22.

I have attempted to run the applications on a Win 95 machine in DOS
mode (DOS 7.0) - however, the system is apparently running in V86 mode
(which doesn't work and play well with my applications).

Can I force the a DOS 7.0 machine into plain old normal real mode so
that my application is then free to alter the segment limits and all
of the other fun things that make real-big mode possible?

I have attempted to clear bit 0 of CR0 prior to jumping into real big
mode with no luck - any ideas?

Thanks -

Brett Moore
Director of Research
Advanced Warming Systems

With every passing hour, our solar system comes forty-three thousand miles
closer to globular cluster M13 in the constellation Hercules, and still there
are some misfits who continue to insist that there is no such thing as
progress. - Ransom K. Ferm

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Quote:

>Hi -

>I have been implementing some graphical applications using "real
>big"or "real flat" mode under DOS 6.22.

>I have attempted to run the applications on a Win 95 machine in DOS
>mode (DOS 7.0) - however, the system is apparently running in V86 mode
>(which doesn't work and play well with my applications).

>Can I force the a DOS 7.0 machine into plain old normal real mode so
>that my application is then free to alter the segment limits and all
>of the other fun things that make real-big mode possible?

No you can't force real mode from inside a DOS machine, there is probably a
way to do it from Win 95.  But it would be easier to use DPMI instead to setup
your big flat mode.

        Bill Lanam

Wed, 26 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Quote:

-------
No you can't force real mode from inside a DOS machine, there is
probably a way to do it from Win 95.  But it would be easier to use DPMI
instead to setup your big flat mode.
--------

Quote:
>         Bill Lanam

Wrongo Bongo.

I have a program called OSKILLER that does this so I know it's possible.
It isn't available for sale but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
One Clue: CMOS F
Also you will find many advantages to the FLAT mode which others may not
realize. It is H**L to debug because the segments keep going away :) and
it even confounds ICE :) Great for keeping your code safe from prying
eyes <eg> I like it, it's evil. I had to make my own integrated debug
module which is FLAT compliant , if you need this perhaps something can
be worked out..... I pity the person who tries to look at that code
under DOS debug and expects to see anything they can understand.

As far as W95 (droolware), it can be run as a protected mode task under
FLAT mode <g>.  I haven't tried LINUX yet but I am thinking about it.
Some friends of mine and I have been working on a FLAT compliant 'c'
compiler. Several months away though :( If any asm and 'c' gurus want to
have some fun with that I'd certainly let them. Hmmmm a FLAT compiler.
At least it is something new and isn't owned by any company. They would
not have a chance of catching the learning curve on this.

Paul

Wed, 26 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Quote:
> I have been implementing some graphical applications using "real
> big"or "real flat" mode under DOS 6.22.

So did I. It's real fun!
Quote:

> I have attempted to run the applications on a Win 95 machine in DOS
> mode (DOS 7.0) - however, the system is apparently running in V86 mode
> (which doesn't work and play well with my applications).

Yes, it's in V86, and that's no good.

Quote:
> Can I force the a DOS 7.0 machine into plain old normal real mode so
> that my application is then free to alter the segment limits and all
> of the other fun things that make real-big mode possible?

You must reboot with DOS, without device drivers like EMM386.

Quote:
> I have attempted to clear bit 0 of CR0 prior to jumping into real big
> mode with no luck - any ideas?

No, you can't clear that bit, it is protected.

--
Feico "Oncreatief" Nater

Thu, 27 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Quote:

> > Can I force the a DOS 7.0 machine into plain old normal real mode so
> > that my application is then free to alter the segment limits and all
> > of the other fun things that make real-big mode possible?
> You must reboot with DOS, without device drivers like EMM386.

I think what he was getting at, was to use the OS resources and be in
FLAT mode.
There are some less elegant ways of getting FLAT code to run with Pmode
apps, one is to place a code patch in the executable of memory manager
or OS and use this as an entry and exit point.
You might say this is odd, but video drivers .DRV do this all the time,
because they have to to get the speed they need.
Paul

Thu, 27 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Quote:

> > Can I force the a DOS 7.0 machine into plain old normal real mode so
> > that my application is then free to alter the segment limits and all
> > of the other fun things that make real-big mode possible?
> You must reboot with DOS, without device drivers like EMM386.

I think what he was getting at, was to use the OS resources and be in
FLAT mode.
There are some less elegant ways of getting FLAT code to run with Pmode
apps, one is to place a code patch in the executable of memory manager
or OS and use this as an entry and exit point.
You might say this is odd, but video drivers .DRV do this all the time,
because they have to to get the speed they need.
Paul

Thu, 27 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Quote:

>>Can I force the a DOS 7.0 machine into plain old normal real mode so
>>that my application is then free to alter the segment limits and all
>>of the other fun things that make real-big mode possible?

>-------
>No you can't force real mode from inside a DOS machine, there is
>probably a way to do it from Win 95.  But it would be easier to use DPMI
>instead to setup your big flat mode.
>--------
>Wrongo Bongo.

>I have a program called OSKILLER that does this so I know it's possible.
>It isn't available for sale but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
>One Clue: CMOS F

>As far as W95 (droolware), it can be run as a protected mode task under
>FLAT mode <g>.  I haven't tried LINUX yet but I am thinking about it.

>Paul

It sounds as if you are getting out of windows 95 entirely in order to use
that mode, which certainly defeats the purpose of a multiprocessing OS, and
naturally I wonder how you start up windows 95 again without losing all your
current tasks.

        Bill Lanam

Fri, 28 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 "Real big" mode under DOS 7.0

Quote:

> >As far as W95 (droolware), it can be run as a protected mode task under
> >FLAT mode <g>.  I haven't tried LINUX yet but I am thinking about it.

> >Paul

Bill
> It sounds as if you are getting out of windows 95 entirely in order to use
> that mode, which certainly defeats the purpose of a multiprocessing OS, and

In what way? It just adds another process in a different mode.
If it is time sliced, it is run in paralell. What do you mean 'out' of
windows?, it's just a program running on the cpu. When you run an
application in windows are you 'out' of windows? Perhaps you mean out of
pmode, in that case, yes.
Quote:
> naturally I wonder how you start up windows 95 again without losing all your
> current tasks.

You can always go back to where you were. What does SMM (System
Management Mode) do? What does a task switch do? It's all just programs.
Complex programs in this case but still programs. Or, for that matter
VxD, or CtlAltDel handler, or GPF handler?
Put simply, save state, execute, restore state, continue.

Quote:

>         Bill Lanam

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6173

Fri, 28 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Dos Big Real Mode Program

2. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

3. "Big" embedded systems

4. next "big" language?--New Pragmas

5. "BIG E vs little e", was pre-condition vs post-condition

6. help: "assigning" constant big array

7. New script: "The Big Comics Page"

8. Problem: "My atoms are too big!!"

9. OOP in the "real world" (SUMMARY)