"Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE
Author Message
 "Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE

        In trying to assemble one of my programs, I received an
error message from TLINK which read:
 Fixup overflow at CSEG:008F, target = DSEG:0000
        I would assume that this has some thing to do with my
program locking up whenever I try to run it.  The lockup comes
during a simple loop of
IGL1:     MOV           ES:[SI],DL
          INC           SI
          CMP           SI,0FFFFh
          JNE           IGL1
        SI has been set to 0.  It seems to lock up on the
second repitition on the INC SI instruction.
        Any suggestions as to how to remedy either problem
would be greatly appreciated.

                Alex Rolfe

Mon, 27 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 "Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE

Quote:
>        Any suggestions as to how to remedy either problem
>would be greatly appreciated.

Your code seems to be okay at all, although I would prefer using the REP STOSB
instruction using ES:DI as destination.
You may have another bug, e.g. setting ES to a wrong value, or have a strange
ASSUME directive.
To solve you may send me the entire source and say me what assembler/linker
you use.
--

09126 Chemnitz            ||  www: http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha

Wed, 29 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 "Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE

Quote:

>    In trying to assemble one of my programs, I received an
>error message from TLINK which read:
> Fixup overflow at CSEG:008F, target = DSEG:0000
>    I would assume that this has some thing to do with my
>program locking up whenever I try to run it.  The lockup comes
>during a simple loop of
>IGL1:     MOV               ES:[SI],DL
>      INC           SI
>      CMP           SI,0FFFFh
>      JNE           IGL1
>    SI has been set to 0.  It seems to lock up on the
>second repitition on the INC SI instruction.
>    Any suggestions as to how to remedy either problem
>would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like you might have a symbol named IGL1 in the data segment.

Christopher Hill
Aiea, Hawai`i (O`ahu)

Sat, 01 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 "Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE

Quote:

>>        In trying to assemble one of my programs, I received an
>>error message from TLINK which read:
>> Fixup overflow at CSEG:008F, target = DSEG:0000
>>        I would assume that this has some thing to do with my
>>program locking up whenever I try to run it.  The lockup comes
>>during a simple loop of
>>IGL1:     MOV           ES:[SI],DL
>>          INC           SI
>>          CMP           SI,0FFFFh
>>          JNE           IGL1
>>        SI has been set to 0.  It seems to lock up on the
>>second repitition on the INC SI instruction.
>>        Any suggestions as to how to remedy either problem
>>would be greatly appreciated.
>Looks like you might have a symbol named IGL1 in the data segment.
>Christopher Hill
>Aiea, Hawai`i (O`ahu)

The most common occurrence of a fixup overflow that I have seen is
when you attempt to link two modules of differing memory modules.

i.e. trying to link a SMALL model assembly module to a LARGE model
C main program.

Brett
Brett Moore
Director of Research
Advanced Warming Systems

Mon, 03 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 "Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE

Quote:
>    In trying to assemble one of my programs, I received an
> error message from TLINK which read:
>  Fixup overflow at CSEG:008F, target = DSEG:0000
>    I would assume that this has some thing to do with my
> program locking up whenever I try to run it.

How can you run it ? Does TASM really produce a .EXE even when a fixup
overflow error occurs ?! If yes, you are not supposed to run the program
as it was not linked correctly - you can also say the .EXE is corrupted ...
8-(

Quote:
> The lockup comes
> during a simple loop of

Well, the lockup comes from there, but I see no code line where a fixup
should be necessary. Have you tried taking a look a CSEG:008F ?

Quote:
> IGL1:     MOV              ES:[SI],DL
>      INC           SI
>      CMP           SI,0FFFFh
>      JNE           IGL1
>    SI has been set to 0.  It seems to lock up on the
> second repitition on the INC SI instruction.

Maybe you set up ES to some important segments ? What do you overwrite ?
And: this piece of code can be optimized using a repz stosw.....

Quote:
>    Any suggestions as to how to remedy either problem
> would be greatly appreciated.

>            Alex Rolfe

Stephan

       <<< Bug is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corp. >>>

Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 "Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE

Quote:

>>        In trying to assemble one of my programs, I received an
>>error message from TLINK which read:
>> Fixup overflow at CSEG:008F, target = DSEG:0000
>>        I would assume that this has some thing to do with my
>>program locking up whenever I try to run it.  The lockup comes
>>during a simple loop of
>>IGL1:     MOV           ES:[SI],DL
>>          INC           SI
>>          CMP           SI,0FFFFh
>>          JNE           IGL1
>>        SI has been set to 0.  It seems to lock up on the
>>second repitition on the INC SI instruction.
>>        Any suggestions as to how to remedy either problem
>>would be greatly appreciated.
>Looks like you might have a symbol named IGL1 in the data segment.
>Christopher Hill
>Aiea, Hawai`i (O`ahu)

The few times I got remarks about fixup overflow it finally turned out
that I had been inconsistent in the segment descriptions, AFAIK either
by not including USE16 every time or by using both ".code" and
"SEGMENT....." segment-definitions.

Simon

Sun, 09 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. TLINK Fixup Overflow Errors