Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)
Author Message
 Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)

I would appreciate it if someone could please help me on how to read and
write data to the boot sector on a floppy disk using assembly language
(pref TASM) or if someone has a hex editor that can read it.

Thank you

Michael

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)

Quote:

> I would appreciate it if someone could please help me on how to read and
> write data to the boot sector on a floppy disk using assembly language
> (pref TASM) or if someone has a hex editor that can read it.

> Thank you

> Michael

  You can write a program that uses INT13 and INT21...

- read boot sector off diskette A: with this:

mov di,5        ; retry 5 times
retry:
mov ax,201h
mov cx,1
mov dx,0
mov bx,offset 512_byte_buffer
int 13h
jnc read_ok
dec di
jnz retry

read_ok:

- write it to file this way:

mov ah,3ch
mov cx,0
mov dx,offset 0_terminated_filename
int 21h

mov bx,ax

mov ah,40h
mov cx,512
mov dx,offset 512_byte_buffer
int 21h

mov ah,3eh
int 21h

---

Try, it... it should work.

Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)
Norton DiskEditor for manual editing, and int 13h function for programming
aditing your virus code in boot.
                                               Kris

>I would appreciate it if someone could please help me on how to read and
>write data to the boot sector on a floppy disk using assembly language
>(pref TASM) or if someone has a hex editor that can read it.

>Thank you

>Michae

Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)

Quote:
>Norton DiskEditor for manual editing, and int 13h function for programming
>aditing your virus code in boot.

Alternatively you can create the binary image of the boot sector as a
512-byte image, and RAWRITE that to the floppy of your choice. Anyway,
who said anything about viruses? If you were going to start, not that
you should, you should experiment with files first. And never, ever,
ever, write payload routines. They will always go wrong and mess up a
system where its not intended somewhere.
--
UNIX - Saving you from the Gates of Hell.

Thu, 08 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Writing at boot sector to the first sector of a disk

2. Boot sector for floppy disk

3. PROBLEM ON BOOT SECTOR OF A 1 Go PC Hard Disk - HELP NEEDED

4. writing to floppy boot sector

5. Reading floppy boot sector into buffer?

6. How to read/write floppy disk through PORT ?

7. Code to Low-Level read/write to Floppy Disks

8. How to read/write floppy disk through PORT?

9. OS writing: detecting which disk was used as boot disk

10. floppy boot sector

11. Help wanted on reading/writing disk and writing your own OS

12. Help wanted on reading/writing disk and writing your own OS