about how to read/write sectors w/out
using the bios ? (IDE-harddrive)

thanx, Patrick

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IDE-HD sector read/write
That's not too easy. BIOS uses DMA to read/write sectors to disk...

Patrick Renk heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:
>Hi there,

>does anybody has any information/source
>about how to read/write sectors w/out
>using the bios ? (IDE-harddrive)

>thanx, Patrick

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IDE-HD sector read/write

Quote:
>That's not too easy. BIOS uses DMA to read/write sectors to disk...

What the heck is that supposed to mean? DMA is easy.

Anyway, about the question posed, I have only FDC knowledge. If anyone knows,
send me info too. =)

  - vulture a.k.a. Sean Stanek

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IDE-HD sector read/write

Quote:

> That's not too easy. BIOS uses DMA to read/write sectors to disk...

I believe most BIOSs don't use DMA..  They use IN/OUT instructions instead.
Goes faster that way or something like that.  Found that out the hard way.
Wrote a bootsector that would load part of the disk directly into video
memory.  Worked off of the HD, but not a floppy disk.  I guess my memory
controller and/or DMA won't allow DMA to read from one adapter card and
write to another.  Took me forever to figure that out.

It's not easy, but I wouldn't say it's hard.  I wrote a program once to do
it, but a backwards-wired power cable from Radio Shack fried that drive.
I hate Radio Shack.

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Reading From HD (Starting By Sector)

2. Read/Write sectors in memory

3. Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)

4. sector read/write

5. sector read/write

6. Writing at boot sector to the first sector of a disk

7. Finding HD sector of files

8. HD's bad sector mark

9. FD and HD(IDE) Controller info

10. Clarification: read/write slow, and TCPSocket and sys{read,write}

11. read/write slow, and TCPSocket and sys{read,write}

12. How can I control if a program writes to the HD