16550 UARTS: 8251 compatible?
Author Message
 16550 UARTS: 8251 compatible?

I'm just curious as to whether or not the 16550
UARTs are register compatible w/the 8251.
Is it possible to utilize the same initialization
code (i.e. baud rate, parity, data-bits, stop
bits etc.) for an 8251 USART to initialize
a 16550 (ignoring the 16 byte receive/xmit
FIFOs)? Also, could anyone point me in the
direction of some bidirectional serial communications
FAQs. I'm particularly interested in piggybacking
my own serial port ISR... Please respond via
email as well as posting...
Thanks
-Bill Lane

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 16550 UARTS: 8251 compatible?

Quote:

> I'm just curious as to whether or not the 16550
> UARTs are register compatible w/the 8251.
> Is it possible to utilize the same initialization
> code (i.e. baud rate, parity, data-bits, stop
> bits etc.) for an 8251 USART to initialize
> a 16550 (ignoring the 16 byte receive/xmit

No, they originate from a different design, 8250, originally made
(probably) by National Semiconductor. They are very different from
(better than) Intel 8251.
--
G. Mazur
MyWebPage: http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm  (x86 and Matrox secrets/tools)

To see my address and employer - read the mail header...

Mon, 10 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 16550 register compatible UART

2. VHDL model of UART 8251?

3. 8251 UART Model

4. A problem with interfacing with UART 16550

5. 16550 UART Model

6. 16550 UART

7. 16550 uart

8. 16550 UARTs

9. 8251 Test Pattern

10. Looking for 8251 synthesizable VHDL model

11. synthesizable 16550 Verilog model

12. 16550 Model