"out" instruction
Author Message
 "out" instruction

Hi,

Where can I find a list of what "out port, data" does with various
different ports and values?  I haven't been able to find a list like that
anywhere.

Thanks,
Chris

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 05:31:11 GMT
 "out" instruction

Quote:

> Hi,

> Where can I find a list of what "out port, data" does with various
> different ports and values?  I haven't been able to find a list like that
> anywhere.

Look for the Ralph Brown Interrupt List ...

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ralf/files.html

Regards,
David.

Reply: replace 'nospam' with my lastname
--
A crash is when your competitor's program dies. When your program dies,
it is an 'idiosyncrasy'. Frequently, crashes are followed with a message

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 06:55:58 GMT
 "out" instruction

Quote:
> Hi,

> Where can I find a list of what "out port, data" does with various
> different ports and values?  I haven't been able to find a list like that
> anywhere.

This is a *huge* question :)

For the basic motherboard stuff, I use (and would recommend, though it's a bit
outdated) "The Undocumented PC" by Frank Van Gilluwe. Covers ports and their
values for DMA, PIC, keyboard, RTC/CMOS, Timers, FDD/HDD, serial/parallel ports,
and general system stuff. Also has a lot of BIOS, CPU and other stuff as well as
code samples.

For sound cards, video drivers, network cards, etc, you'll have to go to the
manufacturer or see if you can find it somewhere on the net.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 06:55:59 GMT
 "out" instruction
This is not huge question for Real Mode.
You have IO range from 0000h-FFFFh.
If the IO address is within the range from 0-FFh, this form may be used:

mov al, xx ;move data xx into al
out nn, al ;write data in al to port nn

If the IO address is within the range 100h-FFFFh, this form must be used:

mov dx, nnnn ;put IO address in dx
mov al, xx   ;put the data in al
out dx, al   ;write data from al to port in dx

Slavisa Zigic

:> Hi,
:>
:> Where can I find a list of what "out port, data" does with various
:> different ports and values?  I haven't been able to find a list like that
:> anywhere.

: This is a *huge* question :)

: For the basic motherboard stuff, I use (and would recommend, though it's a bit
: outdated) "The Undocumented PC" by Frank Van Gilluwe. Covers ports and their
: values for DMA, PIC, keyboard, RTC/CMOS, Timers, FDD/HDD, serial/parallel ports,
: and general system stuff. Also has a lot of BIOS, CPU and other stuff as well as
: code samples.

: For sound cards, video drivers, network cards, etc, you'll have to go to the
: manufacturer or see if you can find it somewhere on the net.

: Hope this helps,
: Michael

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:13:42 GMT
 "out" instruction

Quote:
> This is not huge question for Real Mode.
> You have IO range from 0000h-FFFFh.
> If the IO address is within the range from 0-FFh, this form may be used:

> mov al, xx ;move data xx into al
> out nn, al ;write data in al to port nn

> If the IO address is within the range 100h-FFFFh, this form must be used:

> mov dx, nnnn ;put IO address in dx
> mov al, xx   ;put the data in al
> out dx, al   ;write data from al to port in dx

I interpreted the OP to mean what do the various ports in a system do? For
example, what does port 0x64 do and what happens if we write a value of 0xFE to
it? The answer being the keyboard control port, and writing 0xFE to it will
reboot your system.

Quote:

--
Michael

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:55:49 GMT
 "out" instruction
Looks like I should find myself a copy of that book :).  Unfortunately, Via
doesn't like to give out datasheets for their chipsets, which I'm sure
would also make this easier.

chris

--On Sunday, February 17, 2002 10:55 PM +0000 Michael Brown

Quote:

>> Hi,

>> Where can I find a list of what "out port, data" does with various
>> different ports and values?  I haven't been able to find a list like that
>> anywhere.

> This is a *huge* question :)

> For the basic motherboard stuff, I use (and would recommend, though it's
> a bit outdated) "The Undocumented PC" by Frank Van Gilluwe. Covers ports
> and their values for DMA, PIC, keyboard, RTC/CMOS, Timers, FDD/HDD,
> serial/parallel ports, and general system stuff. Also has a lot of BIOS,
> CPU and other stuff as well as code samples.

> For sound cards, video drivers, network cards, etc, you'll have to go to
> the manufacturer or see if you can find it somewhere on the net.

> Hope this helps,
> Michael

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:07:38 GMT
 "out" instruction
Reposting using crayne.org, since I didn't see it 18 hours later :-(

  > Where can I find a list of what "out port, data" does with various
  > different ports and values?  I haven't been able to find a list like
  > that anywhere.

You'll like this:

Do Start->Run and type MSINFO32
Then navigate to System_Information->Hardware_Resources->I/O

This will tell you the mapping from port number to the hardware you have
on your particular computer. Then look up the documentation for your
hardware components to get your answer :-)

HTH

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:29:08 GMT
 "out" instruction
Thanks, I did not know about that.

0x00000080-0x00000090   Direct memory access controller

Chris

--On Monday, February 18, 2002 7:29 PM +0000 Andy Civil

Quote:

> Reposting using crayne.org, since I didn't see it 18 hours later :-(

>   > Where can I find a list of what "out port, data" does with various
>   > different ports and values?  I haven't been able to find a list like
>   > that anywhere.

> You'll like this:

> Do Start->Run and type MSINFO32
> Then navigate to System_Information->Hardware_Resources->I/O

> This will tell you the mapping from port number to the hardware you have
> on your particular computer. Then look up the documentation for your
> hardware components to get your answer :-)

> HTH

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 01:55:58 GMT

2. Availability of "N3" instructions

3. "0xC0000096: Privileged instruction"