BootUp: Master Boot Record
Author Message
 BootUp: Master Boot Record

Is there a way to replace a master boot record on a hard disk? I have a drive
that cant be booted off of and i think the master boot record was damaged.
C Prgm Software Employee, Rank 1 (The Founder)

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BootUp: Master Boot Record

Quote:

> Is there a way to replace a master boot record on a hard disk? I have a drive
> that cant be booted off of and i think the master boot record was damaged.

  The first sector of a hard drive contains both the MBR code
and the partition table.

  If the partition table is OK, you can replace the MBR code by
booting from a floppy and using the command FDISK /MBR

WARNING: If your MBR had aready been replaced by a boot manager
or a disk manager or a boot sector virus, then the FDISK /MBR
command will destroy that manager or virus.  Even in the case
of a virus, that may not be a good idea, because your partition
table may have been changed as well, so that it is no longer
valid without the manager or virus.

BTW, your MBR might be OK.  You can get similar problems by
something as simple as changing the CMOS drive parameters.
Check that the problem isn't something simple before you
start messing with your MBR.
--
http://www.erols.com/johnfine/
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/8600/

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BootUp: Master Boot Record

Even better.... look at your MBR and look at the partitions and code that exist
on it. I suggest booting from a floppy (make sure it is not infected with a
virus) and view your MBR. The famous Monkey virus is one of many that store the
MBR elsewhere. In any case, you should manually look at what is currently in
your MBR.

  - vulture a.k.a. Sean Stanek

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 BootUp: Master Boot Record
try booting off a floppy disk which has fdisk on it, then

a:\fdisk /mbr

Quote:
> Is there a way to replace a master boot record on a hard disk? I have a
drive
> that cant be booted off of and i think the master boot record was
damaged.
> C Prgm Software Employee, Rank 1 (The Founder)

Mon, 27 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. master boot record

2. Help Master Boot Record

3. The Master Boot Record

4. Master boot record

5. Master boot record

6. Master Boot Sector

7. Master Boot Sector

8. How to view boot record?

9. Writing to the Boot record.

10. boot record programs?

11. pretty technical...Boot Record, FAT, and Root Directory

12. How to view boot record?