TCP/IP in dos
Author Message
 TCP/IP in dos

Is it possible to use Windows TCP/IP functions in a dos based program?  I
noticed that the small ftp program included w/ Windows 9x is dos based.  Any
info would be great!  Thanks ahead of time.

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TCP/IP in dos

wrote in comp.lang.asm.x86:

Quote:

> Is it possible to use Windows TCP/IP functions in a dos based program?  I
> noticed that the small ftp program included w/ Windows 9x is dos based.  Any
> info would be great!  Thanks ahead of time.

The ftp program in Windows 9x/NT is NOT an MS-DOS program.  You need
to learn the difference between a Win32 console application, which
runs in a text window LIKE a DOS program, and a real DOS program.

If you right click on FTP.EXE (should be in your C:\WINDOWS directory)
and select Quick View, you will see a pane which starts out like this:

WIDOWS EXECUTABLE
32bit for Windows 95 and Windows NT

If you reboot your computer to MS-DOS mode, the program will not run
at all.

Win32 console applications can call all Windows API functions.

Jack Klein
--
Home: http://jackklein.home.att.net

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TCP/IP in dos

wrote in comp.lang.asm.x86:

Quote:

> Is it possible to use Windows TCP/IP functions in a dos based program?  I
> noticed that the small ftp program included w/ Windows 9x is dos based.  Any
> info would be great!  Thanks ahead of time.

The ftp program in Windows 9x/NT is NOT an MS-DOS program.  You need
to learn the difference between a Win32 console application, which
runs in a text window LIKE a DOS program, and a real DOS program.

If you right click on FTP.EXE (should be in your C:\WINDOWS directory)
and select Quick View, you will see a pane which starts out like this:

WIDOWS EXECUTABLE
32bit for Windows 95 and Windows NT

If you reboot your computer to MS-DOS mode, the program will not run
at all.

Win32 console applications can call all Windows API functions.

Jack Klein
--
Home: http://jackklein.home.att.net

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 TCP/IP in dos
Actually, the small FTP program is Windows based, but uses the MS-DOS window for
input/output.  This sort of program is known as a console mode program.

As far as using Windows TCP/IP functions in DOS based programs, that's not
possible.  You'd need to get a DOS based TCP/IP stack.  Check out this from the
Winsock FAQ:
http://www.{*filter*}port.com/~tangent/programming/winsock/general.html#q6

Team2000 PC/Palm Pilot Programming Team:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:

> Is it possible to use Windows TCP/IP functions in a dos based program?  I
> noticed that the small ftp program included w/ Windows 9x is dos based.  Any
> info would be great!  Thanks ahead of time.

Sun, 07 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. TCP/IP under DOS box

2. 32-bit TCP/IP for DOS, anyone?

3. TCP/IP under DOS

4. CPD2.1 for DOS printing in a TCP/IP network problem

5. TCP/IP connection from Clipper DOS app?

6. TCP/IP for System 3 DOS wanted

7. TCP/IP for M2 under DOS

8. Python for DOS with TCP/IP?

9. does anyone have an example of a c++ TCP/IP client that works with labview TCP?IP server ??

10. How do I use dial up (PPP) TCP/IP port on a machine which also has TCP/IP LAN

11. TCP/IP for Smalltalk V

12. Interface Woes...Emulator/TCP/IP or GDDM?