Q: Finding IDT of another task in Windows
Author Message
 Q: Finding IDT of another task in Windows

I recently wrote a protected mode memory viewer that uses the DPMI
provided by Windows in a DOS window (yes, I'm still a DOS programmer.
=)      ).  I noticed that, when I had the viewer going in multiple DOS
windows, each reported a different location of the Interrupt Descriptor
Table.  I looked in the Intel literature at the format of the TSS but
saw no blank for the IDT's address.

Where does Windows store the contents of the IDTR of each task?
Specifically, I'd like to find the "master" IDT -- presumably the one
that Windows uses.  If there is one, does it receive IRQs first?  I'd
assume it does because, for instance, many protected mode DOS games (ex.
DOOM) obviously don't chain the previous IRQ1 handler, yet Alt+TAB and
the Windows keys still work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
-- Derek

Sat, 07 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Some more paging/tasking/IDT questions...

2. Some more paging/tasking/IDT questions...

3. Windows/Windows 95 and IDT

4. Plan to get Windows VMM's IDT

5. windows.h not found, compiling 1.6.7 under cygwin/windows 2000

6. Task Bar - Windows - Using C4b

7. Windows - Task Scheduler

8. Help: Get task/process info in Windows 98?

9. LabView task priority and concurrent tasks on Win2K

10. Can you enable and disable windows task bar

11. Oberon Task Statistics (Windows)

12. Disable Windows' Multi-tasking