CPUID in 18 bytes
Author Message
 CPUID in 18 bytes

After a friend described the CPUID instruction in the Pentium,
I wrote this program to display the value returned.  Is it
possible to reduce the size?  At the moment, it's an 18-byte
COM file.

Also, does anybody have a list of the values returned by
different makes of CPU? (Cyrix/AMD/etc)

Thanks.

db 0f,a2
; push 0024
db 6a,24
db 66
push cx    ;  push ecx
db 66
push dx    ;  push edx
db 66
push bx    ;  push ebx
mov ah,09
mov dx,sp
int 21
int 20

r cx
12
n cpuid3.com
w 0100

| Andrew J Wales   Department of Computer Science |
| University of Sheffield                         |

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CPUID in 18 bytes

Quote:

>After a friend described the CPUID instruction in the Pentium,
>I wrote this program to display the value returned.  Is it
>possible to reduce the size?  At the moment, it's an 18-byte
>COM file.

>Also, does anybody have a list of the values returned by
>different makes of CPU? (Cyrix/AMD/etc)

Cyrix = Bang! (Illegal instruction, check EFLAGS bit 21 to check for
compatibility).
AMD/NexGen = depends on model - K5 should return 5

In fact always check you can toggle bit 21 before executing cpuid.

Beware some processor documentation says that the chips support cpuid
when they don't.

Check out Robert Collins' web site.
http://www.x86.org
for loads more details.

Jim

Sat, 21 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CPUID in 18 bytes

Quote:

> >After a friend described the CPUID instruction in the Pentium,
> >I wrote this program to display the value returned.  Is it
> >possible to reduce the size?  At the moment, it's an 18-byte
> >COM file.

> >Also, does anybody have a list of the values returned by
> >different makes of CPU? (Cyrix/AMD/etc)
> Cyrix = Bang! (Illegal instruction, check EFLAGS bit 21 to check for
> compatibility).

Yes... And, no. The Cyrix 5x86 was _supposed_ to have CPUID, but they
discontinued the line before it was implemented. The Cyrix 6x86 does have
CPUID, but you first need to enable it (post reset state is disabled, and I
haven't seen a BIOS that sets it).

Check out: HTTP:\\WWW.IONET.NET/~RBDAVIS/FILES.HTM for some
utility programs (and, I think, a few links to related places).

--
_______________________________________
Scott Armstrong          CHAOS Software

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CPUID in 18 bytes

  After a friend described the CPUID instruction in the Pentium,
  I wrote this program to display the value returned.  Is it
  possible to reduce the size?  At the moment, it's an 18-byte
  COM file.

Nice, although not very useable - just prints vendor ID, and doesn't
check for CPUID presence

  Also, does anybody have a list of the values returned by
  different makes of CPU? (Cyrix/AMD/etc)

Yes, at least two places:
mine: address given in the footer
Christian's: http://www.sandpile.org
--
MyWebPage: http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm  (x86 secrets/tools and more)
To see my name, address and employer - read the mail header...

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CPUID in 18 bytes

      Date:   04.03.97
      Subject:"Re: CPUID in 18 bytes"

Quote:
> Cyrix = Bang! (Illegal instruction, check EFLAGS bit 21 to check for
> compatibility).

Id doesn't have to ... just enable CID-Bit ... with INFO_CID from the 4P-
package ...

Regards, MJS
Use it: _PB3.2 & PREP_ / _ASM & PREASM_

Wed, 25 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Reminder: Dave Thomas to speak at OCSTUG, Sept 18

2. Smalltalk Solutions Press Release 18 April 2003

3. apl-l UseNet batch for Tue May 18 23:59:11 ADT 1993

4. apl-l UseNet batch for Tue May 18 23:59:11 ADT 1993

5. Writing into VBS files, get S002-18...

6. GLORP 0.2.18 is available on SqueakMap

7. Toronto APLSIG meeting - 6:15pm, January 18 (tentative)

8. 10 SMALLTALK VISUALWORKS DEVELOPERS REQUIRED - Contract 18 months

9. US-NYC - VisualWorks consultant developer - 12-18 month contract - Brokerage

10. Meeting Announcement Potomac SIGAPL on April 18, 1994