PIII rng addressing
Author Message
 PIII rng addressing

Hi!
Does anybody know how I can address the (pseudo-) random-number-generator in
Intel's Pentium 3? I downloaded the entire (6.6 MB) instructions-set from
the Intel Homepage, but a search could neither find the word "random" nor
"rng" in the entire 854 pages!
I read in another doc that the processor provides an additional register for
the random numbers.
It would be great, if you could help me about this, and I also could need
some help how to write that command in assembler, because it is so new that
my compiler will certainly not translate it! Therefore my question: How do I
enter the binary address of that command in my asm-code?
Just in case it is relevant: I am using the integrated asm compiler in Turbo
Pascal 7.
Thanks a lot in advance,
   Andi

Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PIII rng addressing

Quote:
> I read in another doc that the processor provides an additional register
for
> the random numbers.

I have never heard of such a register before. You aren't confusing it with
the SERIAL number aren't you ? Anyway, I think your register is "model
specific", so you'd have to use RDMSR. No, I don't have the number of the
register.

--
"Think about tomorrow, but act for today."
Gandhi.

Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PIII rng addressing
Does CPU have to have random number support? I've never heard such an
idea before. Has Intel put this stuff to its brand-new CPU?

Most common ways of random nuber generation are:
1. use of lookup tables with precalculated values
2. use of arithmetical/logical instructions for comptuing next value
depending on previous one. Basically, resulting function is something
strange that looks like a chaos. Resulting value is evaluated only
partially very often. This makes things random and unpredictable.
Starting value for rnd generator is often obtained from the hardware
timer (randomize function). You just use hundredths.
3. use of more than one separate generator. This improves quality of
generator greatly.

Good Luck.
Alexei A. Frounze

Quote:

> Hi!
> Does anybody know how I can address the (pseudo-) random-number-generator in
> Intel's Pentium 3? I downloaded the entire (6.6 MB) instructions-set from
> the Intel Homepage, but a search could neither find the word "random" nor
> "rng" in the entire 854 pages!
> I read in another doc that the processor provides an additional register for
> the random numbers.
> It would be great, if you could help me about this, and I also could need
> some help how to write that command in assembler, because it is so new that
> my compiler will certainly not translate it! Therefore my question: How do I
> enter the binary address of that command in my asm-code?
> Just in case it is relevant: I am using the integrated asm compiler in Turbo
> Pascal 7.
> Thanks a lot in advance,
>    Andi

Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PIII rng addressing

It's actually not built into the P3, but Intel's 82802 Firmware hub, and
it's not a psuedo random number generator, but a 'true' random number
generator using the thermal noise off of a precision resistor.  Here are the
docs for accessing it at intels website:

http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/298029.pdf

--
Nick Shaffner
Programmer: Duke Nukem Forever

Quote:

>Hi!
>Does anybody know how I can address the (pseudo-) random-number-generator
in
>Intel's Pentium 3? I downloaded the entire (6.6 MB) instructions-set from
>the Intel Homepage, but a search could neither find the word "random" nor
>"rng" in the entire 854 pages!
>I read in another doc that the processor provides an additional register
for
>the random numbers.
>It would be great, if you could help me about this, and I also could need
>some help how to write that command in assembler, because it is so new that
>my compiler will certainly not translate it! Therefore my question: How do
>enter the binary address of that command in my asm-code?
>Just in case it is relevant: I am using the integrated asm compiler in
Turbo
>Pascal 7.
>Thanks a lot in advance,
>   Andi

Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. RNG for normal distributions

2. Code for simple RNG

3. Starting Forth RNG

4. Montgomery's RNG

5. LLNLPython3 (NumPy, RNG, Graphics, PyHistory, PyDB, CXX)

6. Compile problems with rng package

7. RNG using CA -- Please VHDL source needed !!

8. Hardware RNG in P3

9. Win32: Getting a seed for a pseudo-RNG

10. Another RNG Question

11. Mersenne Twister RNG

12. add nonuniform RNG and special functions to Fortran?