Pentium III processor number and random number generator
Author Message
 Pentium III processor number and random number generator

I have downloaded the Pentium III instruction set reference recently
made public by Intel. The CPUID instruction has no reference on how
to access the processor serial number. There is a feature bit which
indicates if the number is present and enabled, but the document doesn't
say anything on how to read the number if it's enabled.

Also, I wonder about the random number generator which was supposed
to be incorporated in the Pentium III. I can't find anything about this
either in the document.

What do you think?

Regards,
Danjel McGougan.

Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pentium III processor number and random number generator
I just went on ZDNET.COM and it looks like the serial number CAN be
turned ON and OFF from a REMOTE site. Someone has ALL READY written
software that does this and INTEL has admitted that this IS possible.
Check out the ZDNET.COM site and read the article. Its really scarry!

Analog Kid

Quote:

>I have downloaded the Pentium III instruction set reference recently
>made public by Intel. The CPUID instruction has no reference on how
>to access the processor serial number. There is a feature bit which
>indicates if the number is present and enabled, but the document doesn't
>say anything on how to read the number if it's enabled.

>Also, I wonder about the random number generator which was supposed
>to be incorporated in the Pentium III. I can't find anything about this
>either in the document.

>What do you think?

>Regards,
>Danjel McGougan.

Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pentium III processor number and random number generator

|I have downloaded the Pentium III instruction set reference recently
|made public by Intel. The CPUID instruction has no reference on how
|to access the processor serial number. There is a feature bit which
|indicates if the number is present and enabled, but the document doesn't
|say anything on how to read the number if it's enabled.

if CPUID(1).EDX[18] = 1
  CPUID(3) ;EBX:EDX:ECX=PN

I'm guessing the # is in EBX:EDX:ECX because EBX:EDX:ECX is used
to return the vendor string in CPUID(0)

|Also, I wonder about the random number generator which was supposed
|to be incorporated in the Pentium III. I can't find anything about this
|either in the document.

It could be in a MSR (use RDMSR) or another (new|old) instruction. Maybe
intel will tell us when they release a new IA Vol 3 manual.

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pentium III processor number and random number generator

Quote:

> I just went on ZDNET.COM and it looks like the serial number CAN be
> turned ON and OFF from a REMOTE site. Someone has ALL READY written
> software that does this and INTEL has admitted that this IS possible.
> Check out the ZDNET.COM site and read the article. Its really scarry!

> Analog Kid

If a remote site runs a piece of x86 code on your Win95/98 computer, then
that site can do ANYTHING to your computer. So why worry about that silly
number ??

upload personal/private documents -> flash the bios with bogus data -> kill
harddisk partitions -> turn off ATX power supply.

ewald

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pentium III processor number and random number generator

Quote:

>> I just went on ZDNET.COM and it looks like the serial number CAN be
>> turned ON and OFF from a REMOTE site. Someone has ALL READY written
>> software that does this and INTEL has admitted that this IS possible.
>> Check out the ZDNET.COM site and read the article. Its really scarry!

>> Analog Kid

>If a remote site runs a piece of x86 code on your Win95/98 computer, then
>that site can do ANYTHING to your computer. So why worry about that silly
>number ??

>upload personal/private documents -> flash the bios with bogus data -> kill
>harddisk partitions -> turn off ATX power supply.

Yes, but that is still a problem. If you allow MS to execute code on your
computer under the "protection" of a Verisign certificate (for example), it
will be extremely unlikely they are going to attempt stealing your documents
( I'd love MS to try to do that on my computer, i'd be a very rich man after I
sue them ), flash the bios , format my hard-disk, turn the power supply ( why
would they be interested )....

On the other hand, they could very well want to know which processor is
running which OS license etc... This could be achieved very discretly and
without advanced reverse engineering such as in the Win 3.x / Dr DOS case,
there would be no way to prove anything...

Many large software developers see this feature combined with the internet as
essential tools to boost/control their licensing and continue their growth...

Pierre

Pierre Vandevenne
www.datarescue.com, the home of the IDA Pro Disassembler
Version 3.8 now available - www.datarescue.com/idanew.htm

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pentium III processor number and random number generator
|What do you think?

I think you should visit intel's site because they've uploaded more docs:
http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/applnots/245125.htm
including a new CPUID doc and one that describes how to use the PSN
with the CPUID instruction. They even uploaded the software to enable/disable
the PSN, so if they don't describe how to do it in the manuals, grab
your favorite disassembler :)

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Pentium III processor number and random number generator

Quote:
>I have downloaded the Pentium III instruction set reference recently
>made public by Intel. The CPUID instruction has no reference on how
>to access the processor serial number. There is a feature bit which
>indicates if the number is present and enabled, but the document doesn't
>say anything on how to read the number if it's enabled.

Try AP-909 available from Intel's site.
PIII section, datasheets, not manuals.
Describes how to get serial number via CPUID.

Cheers!

Jim

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Random Number Generator to produce SAME random number from 12:00am-11:59pm

2. Getting random numbers from a Pentium III or IV

3. Random number generation on Pentium III and IV

4. The Pentium III Serial Number

5. Pentium Processor Serial Number??

6. J random-number generator: what is used?

7. Random number generators

8. Random number generators

9. random number generator?

10. Random number generator for Smalltalk/GemStone

11. random number generator

12. Problem Solved: Need A Random Number Generator