MS-DOS EDIT only program to thwart TSR
Author Message
 MS-DOS EDIT only program to thwart TSR

Curious problem! I have just written a TSR that hooks
int 09, 13, 16, 28 and it works with every DOS program
I have available to try except for MS-DOS EDIT.COM
To test this problem in its simplest form I have made
my TSR do only one thing and that is to ring the terminal
bell 07h using int 10h.
If I load the TSR before EDIT then it will not work
any more after loading EDIT.
If I rebooot and run EDIT first and then load my TSR,
then the TSR loads OK but does not beep.

Any ideas what EDIT.COM is doing to so disrupt my
environemt.

Any contributions appreciated.
John Dekker.

Fri, 19 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-DOS EDIT only program to thwart TSR

Quote:

> Curious problem! I have just written a TSR that hooks
> int 09, 13, 16, 28 and it works with every DOS program
> I have available to try except for MS-DOS EDIT.COM
> To test this problem in its simplest form I have made
> my TSR do only one thing and that is to ring the terminal
> bell 07h using int 10h.
> If I load the TSR before EDIT then it will not work
> any more after loading EDIT.
> If I rebooot and run EDIT first and then load my TSR,
> then the TSR loads OK but does not beep.

> Any ideas what EDIT.COM is doing to so disrupt my
> environemt.

I really don't know what EDIT does, but I have had similar problems in
the past. My program captured the keyb. int and was garanteed to hang
with EDIT (nothing else!). I now use a completely other technique, so I
don't have the problem anymore.

I'd be very interested in the answer too, though !

Bye, hope to hear from you,

Jannes Faber

www-page: http://www.fys.ruu.nl/~faber

Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-DOS EDIT only program to thwart TSR
EDIT grabs lots of interrupt vectors including the timer and keyboard ISRs.
It is very poorly behaved, partly because it is also part of the MS QBASIC
program.

Christopher Hill
Aiea, Hawai`i (O`ahu)

Mon, 22 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 MS-DOS EDIT only program to thwart TSR
edit.com accesses the QBASIC interpreter.  My guess is that your
problem is not with the com file, but with the interpreter

--
| Beckoning by odour, its beauty more than seen, the honest rose|
| bares thorns scratching only those who squeeze while touching |

Thu, 25 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)

2. TSR's in Ms-Dos

3. SHOW87.EXE - MS-DOS TSR shows 8087 Registers

4. Can not edit my program, I know about edit mode

5. APL terminal program for MS-DOS wanted

6. seeking specialized ms-dos program

7. Slow Win95 Network Printing from MS-DOS Programs

8. questions about a backup program for the MS-DOS environment

9. MS-DOS reboot program

10. MS-DOS programming possible?

11. MS-DOS Boot Sector & Boot Programs

12. MS-DOS-calls from Fortran-program