fixup overflow ?
Author Message
 fixup overflow ?

Can someone explain to me what

error L2002: fixup overflow at 54 in segment CODE

means? I know what it has a hang up with (I make an external call to a
procedure) but I have NO idea what the error could mean and I am thus
not sure how to fix it Can someone help? Direct email would be great

Chris

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 fixup overflow ?

Quote:

> error L2002: fixup overflow at 54 in segment CODE

> means? I know what it has a hang up with (I make an external call to a
> procedure)

  There are still a few possibilties.  I would need more
information about what you are doing but it is likely
that you are making a near call in the code where the
error is reported and calling an entry point which is
not in the same segment.

1) It may be that the entry point was designed to be
called with a far call.  In this case you are lucky
that the segments were sequenced by the linker in
such a way that this error occurred.  The linker
doesn't know whether the entry point is far or near
and doesn't care whether it is in a different segment.
The fact that it is in a different segment merely
makes it possible (not certain) that the linker is
unable to resolve the near call.  Otherwise a near
call to a far routine would just mess up your stack
at run time.

2) It may be that the entry point was designed to be
called with a near call.  In this case the calling
code and the called code should have been in segments
that will be merged by the linker.  The easiest way
to do that is by giving them the same segment name
and making them public.  It also can be done with a
group declaration (in some big programs you may need
a segment class to help the linker merge the group).

  It helps to get a detailed map (/m in some linkers)
and find the addresses (and segment characteristics)
of the called and calling routines.  This should help
you understand what you need to fix (though it won't
tell you whether the entry point was designed to be
called near or far).
--
http://www.erols.com/johnfine/
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/8600/

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 fixup overflow ?

Quote:

> Can someone explain to me what

> error L2002: fixup overflow at 54 in segment CODE

> means? I know what it has a hang up with (I make an external call to a
> procedure) but I have NO idea what the error could mean and I am thus
> not sure how to fix it Can someone help? Direct email would be great

It depends on your linker.  Generally, this error indicates that more that
64K of objects have attempted to be placed into the named segment.  In
this case, you put more than 64K of objects
into the "CODE" segment.  You can get around this problem by making sure
your compiling
in LARGE mode of your compiler. It is also possible that the procedure is
a FAR procedure and you are calling it via a near call ( and you have
compiled your program in TINY, SMALL or
COMPACT memory models. )

Hope this helps.

Sat, 27 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Fixup Overflow?

2. TLINK Fixup Overflow Errors

3. fixup overflow, what does it mean

4. Fixup Overflow

5. Fixup Overflow?

6. Fixup Overflow Error

7. Fixup Overflow Error L2002

8. "Fixup Overflow - TLINK.EXE

9. Fixup overflow problem and question

10. Fixup errors

11. unsupported Fixup kind in library file

12. -=- Getting Fixups into Your Data Segment ??? -=-