Still image in video buffer after rebooting...
Author Message
 Still image in video buffer after rebooting...
Hi,

I have four OSes on my machine, and all of them use a 1024x768x32bpp
video mode. When I leave one of them and I boot Windows 98, I see a
strange thing:

When windows switches the video mode to 1024x768x32bpp, I can see, for
instance, my KDM login screen (which was the last picture in the
graphic buffer when I left Linux) during about .25 second.

When you first enter a graphic mode without asking it to be cleared,
is it normal to get the last picture before you have shutdown your
computer? Is it only available on ATX (on which a reboot is not really
one)?

Julien.
--
Julien Cayzac      -   aka  DeepMind    -      Phone: +33 1 45211505

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Still image in video buffer after rebooting...
Quote:

> Hi,

> I have four OSes on my machine, and all of them use a 1024x768x32bpp
> video mode. When I leave one of them and I boot Windows 98, I see a
> strange thing:

you say reboot into a different OS, hard boot or soft boot?, as hard
boot tends to actually flush the memory more as it actaully a power
'blip', and a soft boot is simply a reset on the processor and MB.
Quote:
> When windows switches the video mode to 1024x768x32bpp, I can see, for
> instance, my KDM login screen (which was the last picture in the
> graphic buffer when I left Linux) during about .25 second.

Yes I have seen this too.

Quote:
> When you first enter a graphic mode without asking it to be cleared,
> is it normal to get the last picture before you have shutdown your
> computer? Is it only available on ATX (on which a reboot is not really
> one)?

> Julien.
> --
> Julien Cayzac      -   aka  DeepMind    -      Phone: +33 1 45211505

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
"Robbat2"

ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639

Home Page  : http://robbat2.cjb.net
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)

Thu, 03 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Still image in video buffer after rebooting...

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > I have four OSes on my machine, and all of them use a 1024x768x32bpp
> > video mode. When I leave one of them and I boot Windows 98, I see a
> > strange thing:
> you say reboot into a different OS, hard boot or soft boot?, as hard
> boot tends to actually flush the memory more as it actaully a power
> 'blip', and a soft boot is simply a reset on the processor and MB.
> > When windows switches the video mode to 1024x768x32bpp, I can see,
for
> > instance, my KDM login screen (which was the last picture in the
> > graphic buffer when I left Linux) during about .25 second.
> Yes I have seen this too.

> > When you first enter a graphic mode without asking it to be cleared,
> > is it normal to get the last picture before you have shutdown your
> > computer? Is it only available on ATX (on which a reboot is not
really
> > one)?

If your BIOS saved all memory + video memory to disk, it will restore
it next time you boot. Try disabling the power management stuff if you
don't like it

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 04 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Video and frame buffer comparison?

2. Memory buffer to Video Card

3. Video Buffer access in Flat Memory Model

4. Writing directly to video buffer

5. Using Video memory for double-buffering?

6. Video buffering

7. use movsw to copy video to buffer?

8. VW and video image analysis

9. Looking for Video Image Capture to interface with CFD2.1

10. Video Images

11. NI IMAQ acquiring image sequence/video

12. Video frames/images segmentation...