More Intel Appendix H secrets to be released (4M Pages)
Author Message
 More Intel Appendix H secrets to be released (4M Pages)

-- Intel Secrets -- What Intel Doesn't Want You to Know --

Now that Intel's Virtual Mode Extensions have been liberated from their
coffin in Appendix H, I'm ready to liberate another Appendix H topic:
4M Pages.  On Monday, December 5th (at 6:30 Central Standard Time), I'll
release an article describing all of the features and caveats of 4M
pages.  You will be shocked and infuriated by what you will read.  For
example, you will discover that for nearly three years, you were forced
to sign a 15-year NDA with Intel to get information concerning 4M pages.
During this time, all of the details of 4M pages were completely
documented in another Intel microprocessor manual.  The other manual was
freely available and didn't require the NDA agreement.  This fact adds
a new dimension to the Appendix H saga, and indicates an all-time low
in the quest to control access to information.

The article will be available as an on-line HTML document, complete with
picture graphics, and available anonymous FTP.  Source code will also be
distributed to demonstrate how to set up, use, and verify the existence
of 4M pages.  The URL's are as follows:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;          HTML
ftp://ftp.x86.org/x86/articles/4mpages         Anonymous FTP
ftp://ftp.x86.org/x86/dloads/4MPAGES.ZIP       Source code for download
ftp://ftp.x86.org/x86/source/4MPages           Source code for viewing

PS, Please don't start another flame war over this announcement.  If
you have any questions or comments, please send them private email to
me.  Don't pollute the newsgroups with such triviality.

--
"Intel Secrets -- What Intel doesn't want you to know"
  http://www.*-*-*.com/   or anonymous FTP at ftp://ftp.x86.org/x86

Thu, 14 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 More Intel Appendix H secrets to be released (4M Pages)

Quote:

>-- Intel Secrets -- What Intel Doesn't Want You to Know --

>Now that Intel's Virtual Mode Extensions have been liberated from their
>coffin in Appendix H, I'm ready to liberate another Appendix H topic:
>4M Pages.

If you want to see the _real_ stuff, you can take a look at any recent
linux kernel.  The linux-1.3.x series of kernels (from x >= 15 or so)
use the 4MB page table feature automatically.  This is real code that
has seen real use (and which you can take a real look at)..

And no, I never signed any NDA: the details may be hidden away in some
Appendix H, but the actual working of the chip was easy to guess at with
only minimal trial-and-error from the hints given in any Pentium
reference manual.  It does work, and it does help performance somewhat.

                Linus

Sat, 16 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 More Intel Appendix H secrets to be released (4M Pages)
Hello Linus,

Quote:

>> [...] I'm ready to liberate another Appendix H topic: 4M Pages.

> If you want to see the _real_ stuff, you can take a look at any recent
> linux kernel.  The linux-1.3.x series of kernels (from x >= 15 or so)
> use the 4MB page table feature automatically.  This is real code that
> has seen real use (and which you can take a real look at)..

Okay. But Robert (and of course his unmentioned coworkers) has reverse-
engineered the whole stuff, before Linux came with 4MB paging. It's not
so hard to reverse-engineer this iPentium secret -- other's were harder
and took much more time.

Quote:
> And no, I never signed any NDA: the details may be hidden away in some
> Appendix H, but the actual working of the chip was easy to guess at with
> only minimal trial-and-error from the hints given in any Pentium
> reference manual.  It does work, and it does help performance somewhat.

...almost all the iPentium books I read during the last few years point
directly to those officially Intel documents and manuals, where you can
read the detailed and complete 4MB paging description -- except these 3
volume iPentium databook set itself.

If you read the CISC KING STORY carefully, then you know where you must
search.  ;-)

_BTW:_ Now, when I have contact to you, Linus, are you interested in some
sort of an API for accessing some Modelspecific Register related things
on iPentium processors? I am thinking of an API, which allows to create
Performance Monitoring programs, like my STAT.EXE (for DOS) from the 4P
package (see my footer), for Linux too. If you are interested, then you
can contact me via private eMail, please. Thanks in advance.

_CL_

Ludwig-Kuehn-Str.15   FAX ++49-371-242091   http://www.x86.org/4p
D-09123 CHEMNITZ      actual: 4p_v313.zip   ftp://ftp.x86.org/x86

## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

Tue, 19 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Intel Secrets: PVI to be liberated from Appendix H

2. P6 OpCode descriptions on Intel Secrets home page able

3. Intel Secrets home page announcement

4. Subject: Undocumented Intel / Secrets home page

5. Intel Secrets -- What Intel Doesn't Want You To Know

6. Intel Secrets -- What Intel Doesn't Want You To Know

7. Intel Secrets -- What Intel Doesn't Want You To Know

8. Appendix.pdf - Appendix.pdf (0/6)

9. tcl/tk man pages use .HS, not .TH for title, so man -k does not work

10. I am looking for people proficient in writing in Labview secret clearance and RF background

11. intel secret?

12. Pentium / Intel secrets