the text cursor
Author Message
 the text cursor

I am trying to reposition the basic text cursor on the screen using
ports.  This is what I am doing so far:

mov  dx,  3d4h   ;  the address register
mov  al,  14        ; the high byte of the cursors position
out   dx, al          ; send it
inc  dx                ; the index register
mov  al, 0           ; clear the high byte
out  dx, al           ; send it

I think this should move the cursor from where I put it using BIOS
functions but it doesn't do anything.

Sat, 04 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 the text cursor

Quote:
>I am trying to reposition the basic text cursor on the screen using
>ports.  This is what I am doing so far:

>mov  dx,  3d4h   ;  the address register
>mov  al,  14        ; the high byte of the cursors position
>out   dx, al          ; send it
>inc  dx                ; the index register
>mov  al, 0           ; clear the high byte
>out  dx, al           ; send it

>I think this should move the cursor from where I put it using BIOS
>functions but it doesn't do anything.

I guess you realize there's also a lo byte register of the cursor's
address register (CRTC #15). This 16 bit isn't enough however for the
cursor, you also need:

Cursor Start Register (CRTC #10)
bit 5  (Cursor On/Off)  1=Turn cursor on, 0=turn cursor off
bit 4-0  (Cursor Start)  Top scanline

Cursor End Register (CRTC #11)
bit 6-5 (Cursor Skew)  number of characters to skew
bit 4-0 (Cursor End) Bottom scanline

  "Tough talk for a guy who was fooled into believing he
   was in real mode by a mere memory manager."

Sat, 04 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Hiding and moving text cursor!

2. Moving text cursor...

3. dos text cursor

4. Pmw ScrolledText- question about text cursor

5. Text/Cursor User Interface with Python

6. Text cursor loses focus, can't select correctly

7. canvas text cursor position

8. Tk4.0b2 Text-cursor-bug

9. Text cursor deactivation?

10. VW2.0: How to keep the text cursor visible in a TextEditor ?

11. Cursor in a text field...

12. How do you deselect highlight text and position the cursor in an entry field