PM and graphics
Author Message
 PM and graphics

  Hello everybody! ,

 I have a question apo programmin in PM mode according to graphics. As
far as i knew in RM i could change to graphics mode with an int10
instruction and the i could print some grafs in the screen with straight
moving bytes in memory location ( don't remeber know the exact place )
But in PM how can i change to graphics mode ( I don't think that i can
issue an int 10!! ) and then how can i access that part of memory to plot
my graphics .. cause the segments are not used this way!
  Thanks for any feedback!
    Aristotelis

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PM and graphics

Quote:
> I have a question apo programmin in PM mode according to graphics. As
>far as i knew in RM i could change to graphics mode with an int10
>instruction and the i could print some grafs in the screen with straight
>moving bytes in memory location ( don't remeber know the exact place )

A000h:0 in real mode.

Quote:
>But in PM how can i change to graphics mode ( I don't think that i can
>issue an int 10!! ) and then how can i access that part of memory to plot
>my graphics .. cause the segments are not used this way!

Explain more. There are several different ways to enter pmode. If you are using
a *good* pmode extender like DOS32, then all you have to do is call int 10h. If
you are using something like PMODE, then you probably have to setup a DPMI
structure for calling an int 10h. Otherwise, if you want, you can just program
the CRT directly (via INs/OUTs). But if you want easiness, then int 10h is
probably easier for you. What system are you using to setup pmode?

To access graphics in pmode, either take your base of a selector or a zero
selector, and subtract the base from 0A0000h and then use that as the base for
video memory. Location (in real mode) 0A000h:0 corresponds to 0A0000h in pmode
(segment*16+offset).

  - vulture a.k.a. Sean Stanek

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PM and graphics
Hi guys
Im working on some 32bits graphicsdrivers where i can't use BIOS, VESA.
i wonder if any of you knew if there's a standard for CRTC timing?
If any of you have played with the timing i would like to here what you
found out, when calculating your own modes?

best regards

Simon Strandgaard

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PM and graphics

Quote:

> Hi guys
> Im working on some 32bits graphicsdrivers where i can't use BIOS, VESA.
> i wonder if any of you knew if there's a standard for CRTC timing?

Most SVGA cards has some kind of VGA register compatibility, so ass long
you only use VGA compatible modes it should probably work on most graphic
cards.
If you are going for non VGA compatible modes (hi res and / or hi color),
the answer is simply no, there's no standard, it's chip set specific.

Try the WHATVGA home page if you need in deep info for your chip set:
http://www.datashopper.dk/~finth/

Quote:
> If any of you have played with the timing i would like to here what you
> found out, when calculating your own modes?

Well, i have done that, but it's over a year ago since last time so i'm not
shore i remember all of it, and here isn't space to explain all of it
anyway, the best advise i can give you get your self a good description the
vga registers and start to play around, it's not that hard to understand
(i'm talking about the VGA registers hear, the chip set specific ones may
be a completely different matter).

(If you can't find any good doc's on the VGA registers i think i still have
some doc's somewhere in the darker corners of my HD i can mail you if you
like).

Leif.

--
 "all really big innovations are born in chaos"

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PM and graphics
A while back I had a super long run-in with the VGA standard CRTC
and I eventually figured it ALL out (I think) and had to buy over $100
worth of manuals from IBM (damn them) to help with understanding
it all...in the end I found that every manual written was COMPLETELY
ambiguous and impossible to understand what over 95% of meant, but
I figured it all out and made some 100% standard video modes that
all work like Mode 13H...if you want a good interface function for
quick changing in C code and a simple program with code and executable
and a complete article on the video mode which I created you can check
the website of Xtreme Games LLC at:

 http://www.xgames3d.com/

And you can see my article on my new mode MODE T...this video mode
works on ALL VGA monitors and it has a 1:1 pixel ratio and it is linear
like mode 13H, so it is BETTER than IBM's linear mode!!!!  I also created
ANOTHER mode which STILL fits in the 64K page but is larger than
mode 13H and STILL has a 1:1 ratio...

Planar smanar,
Hicks

Quote:

> > Hi guys
> > Im working on some 32bits graphicsdrivers where i can't use BIOS, VESA.
> > i wonder if any of you knew if there's a standard for CRTC timing?

> Most SVGA cards has some kind of VGA register compatibility, so ass long
> you only use VGA compatible modes it should probably work on most graphic
> cards.
> If you are going for non VGA compatible modes (hi res and / or hi color),
> the answer is simply no, there's no standard, it's chip set specific.

> Try the WHATVGA home page if you need in deep info for your chip set:
> http://www.datashopper.dk/~finth/

> > If any of you have played with the timing i would like to here what you
> > found out, when calculating your own modes?

> Well, i have done that, but it's over a year ago since last time so i'm not
> shore i remember all of it, and here isn't space to explain all of it
> anyway, the best advise i can give you get your self a good description the
> vga registers and start to play around, it's not that hard to understand
> (i'm talking about the VGA registers hear, the chip set specific ones may
> be a completely different matter).

> (If you can't find any good doc's on the VGA registers i think i still have
> some doc's somewhere in the darker corners of my HD i can mail you if you
> like).

> Leif.

> --
>  "all really big innovations are born in chaos"

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Creating graphics a la perls GD.pm

2. PM to VM86 to PM ?

3. **** SERIAL COMMUNICATION CLASSES FOR OS/2 PM (SMALLTALK V/PM)

4. Fern's Graphic Library, Printing Graphics / Impresion de Graficos

5. Xlib 2d graphics or GL 3d graphics and tcl/tk

6. Memory Management - Smalltalk/V PM

7. TEC PM-B-472 printer

8. Object World sponsoring Smalltalk '95 Birds of a feather Monday 8/14 at 5:45 pm

9. Checking AM or PM

10. help on memory leaks in SM/V OS2/PM

11. VAST 3.0: PM Notebook page dynamic show / hide

12. PM out of resources during Oracle query