 6.  Compilers must be ASM aware.
 7.  To hide some code from prying eyes.
 8.  To confuse most 'c' programmers.
 9.  To understand the hardware.
10.  To test the hardware.

-------------------------
Supporing arguments
(1)
I was working on a design for a new RISC processor and we were doing the
first board design for this chip. I had to make a macro compiler to
create the ROM code for the  POST and IPL of the board. Some of the
instructions did not match the documentation so I had to ICE or analyze
each instruction.
(2)
Testing new ISA's can't be done with HLL.
(3)
Machine specific code can't be transported anyway.
(4)
Sometimes vendors LIKE to keep their algorithms from being transported
to other platforms to keep their technology to themselves.
(5)
Machine architecture is not an HLL domain.
(6)
I assume this is self-evident.

Mon, 24 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Questions to Dr. Rx

2. OREXX vs PCDOS 7 REXX and RX*.RX util

3. EXPECT expect+cu+rx +7/8 bit co

4. Dr. Math and Dr. Logowriter? Dr. Turtle Math, etc.

5. Windows NT CW 2,003.1 32-bit Dr.Watson exception

6. Division 32-Bit/32-Bit with 16-Bit Register

7. Rx-1.5

8. Rx 1.4

9. rx-1.3

10. Rx 1.0

11. Volunteer needed for rx regexp package work

12. rx-0.05