CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???
Author Message
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Hello, I have a problem:
I tried to read data directly from a music CD. For that I used INT 2F,
Function 1510. I put everything correctly into the header and it worked
with a data-CD, but it didn't work with a music CD. I tried raw and cooked
read mode.

Does anyone know how to read from a music CD ?
Or Can anyone give me a short example code?

Thanks,
 Tim

Wed, 24 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Hallo Timerfreak, hallo everybody,

Timerfreak <&USER> wrote on 05 Oct 96:

Quote:
> Hello, I have a problem:
> I tried to read data directly from a music CD. For that I used INT
> 2F, Function 1510. I put everything correctly into the header and
> it worked with a data-CD, but it didn't work with a music CD. I
> tried raw and cooked read mode.

Most CD-ROM drives just do not allow reading data from audio
tracks because it is extra effort to develop this capability and
music publishers urge the manufactors not to build such drives.

--

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Quote:

> Hello, I have a problem:
> I tried to read data directly from a music CD. For that I used INT 2F,
> Function 1510. I put everything correctly into the header and it worked
> with a data-CD, but it didn't work with a music CD. I tried raw and cooked
> read mode.

> Does anyone know how to read from a music CD ?
> Or Can anyone give me a short example code?

> Thanks,
>  Tim

You can get an example program and source called "dido" - there
may still be a link to it at www.voicecrystal.com.  It may or may
not work with your particular drive.

1) Some drives do not support the direct reading of audio sectors using data reading
        commands.  I believe that most CD-R drives do.  If I remember correctly, the
        Mitsumi 8X ATAPI drive does.

2) Some drives do, but the device driver may not.

3) Of the drives that do, many must be read at a quick enough data
        rate in a constant stream.

--
//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\
\\                                                            //

\\                     http://www.sj-coop.net/~bsprajc             //
//                                                            \\
\\  VLE Research       Detailed PC & Perhipheral Diagnostics  //
//  408.244.7052       incorporating SQM(tm) Technology.      \\
\\                                                            //
//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Quote:
>> I tried to read data directly from a music CD. For that I used INT
>> 2F, Function 1510. I put everything correctly into the header and
>Most CD-ROM drives just do not allow reading data from audio
>tracks because it is extra effort to develop this capability and
>music publishers urge the manufactors not to build such drives.

For those interested, this works on the old Sony drives that use the
"Sony" interface connection on a SB card.  It also works on some SCSI
drives on Macs.  That is all I have come across (apparently one CD-R
Writer did it as well)
>:-P

...And on the seventh day, He connected to the WWW and did nothing...

Mon, 29 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

[snip.. reading raw audio data via MSCDEX]

Quote:
> For those interested, this works on the old Sony drives that use the
> "Sony" interface connection on a SB card.  It also works on some SCSI
> drives on Macs.  That is all I have come across (apparently one CD-R
> Writer did it as well)

I know some drives, cause I've once delevoped a program that read CD-DA
from a CD-drive.
First of all: It works. Only on special drives, but it works. The quality
isn't perfect, because, if you read DA (which is designed primaly for
contignous data output) your CD-ROM (which is designed for maximum data
recovery) may start missing subframes every time you restart reading,
resulting in a faint, but noticable glitch in your wav-file. And you've
got to restart reading, because MSCDEx can only load a max. block of 64k,
and you've got to write the data to the disk. (I can mail you the src.
It's undocumented Pascal (yuck! You see, how old it is!))
Some drives, that are capable of reading CDDA:
- Sony CDU31/33
- some Toshiba drives,
- some Teac drives
- Samsung 8x
- a lot of SCSI drives, including Plextor drives (the best CD-ROMs
  available)

Hope I could help,
Franklin

## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

Thu, 01 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Quote:

> Hallo Timerfreak, hallo everybody,

> Timerfreak <&USER> wrote on 05 Oct 96:
> > Hello, I have a problem:
> > I tried to read data directly from a music CD. For that I used INT
> > 2F, Function 1510. I put everything correctly into the header and
> > it worked with a data-CD, but it didn't work with a music CD. I
> > tried raw and cooked read mode.

> Most CD-ROM drives just do not allow reading data from audio
> tracks because it is extra effort to develop this capability and
> music publishers urge the manufactors not to build such drives.

> --

If your trying to get the musical data (ie, sample data off the CD into
some sort of sound format) then you could try just playing the music CD
as a music CD, and the sampling it in by getting the sound card to
record it as a ({*filter*}y HUGE) waveform. It can be done, I've seen an
example of it in a book I have (by WROX Press, I think its www.wrox.com
or summat). I'll look at it, see if it works and then I'll mail you the
routine! Okay?

Ian Woods

Tue, 06 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Quote:

> [snip.. reading raw audio data via MSCDEX]
> > For those interested, this works on the old Sony drives that use the
> > "Sony" interface connection on a SB card.  It also works on some SCSI
> > drives on Macs.  That is all I have come across (apparently one CD-R
> > Writer did it as well)

> I know some drives, cause I've once delevoped a program that read CD-DA
> from a CD-drive.
> First of all: It works. Only on special drives, but it works. The quality
> isn't perfect, because, if you read DA (which is designed primaly for
> contignous data output) your CD-ROM (which is designed for maximum data
> recovery) may start missing subframes every time you restart reading,
> resulting in a faint, but noticable glitch in your wav-file. And you've
> got to restart reading, because MSCDEx can only load a max. block of 64k,
> and you've got to write the data to the disk. (I can mail you the src.
> It's undocumented pascal (yuck! You see, how old it is!))
> Some drives, that are capable of reading CDDA:
> - Sony CDU31/33
> - some Toshiba drives,
> - some Teac drives
> - Samsung 8x
> - a lot of SCSI drives, including Plextor drives (the best CD-ROMs
>   available)

> Hope I could help,
> Franklin

> ## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

I'm sure that there is a better way which will work with all CD-ROMS?
Why not try using a Soundblaster Pro compatible sound card to PLAY the
CD as music, and then SAMPLE the music as it goes through the sound
card? This way, you aren't using MSCDEX at all (as far as I know). The
CD is being read as music and not as data. I'll have a look at this
myself.

Anybody out there done this themselves? It seems a bit stupid that you
can play music through a sound card from a CD player without using any
software at all - just the CD-ROM, the sound card and the cable between
them. Isn't the sound going through the sound card ignored by the
system?

You could only do this on CD-ROMS which have 'PLAY' buttons on the
front, but my machine seems to play CD's fine through MSCDEX.

Ian Woods

Mon, 12 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Quote:

>I'm sure that there is a better way which will work with all CD-ROMS?
>Why not try using a Soundblaster Pro compatible sound card to PLAY the
>CD as music, and then SAMPLE the music as it goes through the sound

The whole point of the exercise was to avoid this, to avoid the D/A
necessary to send the signal down those three cables and sample the music
digitally.  Then you can write it to, say, a CD-R without losing any
quality.
>:-P

...And on the seventh day, He connected to the WWW and did nothing...

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Quote:

>>I'm sure that there is a better way which will work with all CD-ROMS?
>>Why not try using a Soundblaster Pro compatible sound card to PLAY the
>>CD as music, and then SAMPLE the music as it goes through the sound

>The whole point of the exercise was to avoid this, to avoid the D/A
>necessary to send the signal down those three cables and sample the music
>digitally.  Then you can write it to, say, a CD-R without losing any
>quality.

You'll be lucky.. It's entirely down to the manufacturer as to whether
or not they let digital audio packets through the interface.. Even if they
do you still must have a driver that lets the DA pass through.

Most IDE drivers don't let you....
Most SCSI drivers do..

I tried 5 different IDE cd-roms.. None of them could read DA..
Bought a NEC SCSI drive.. It worked first time!!!

By a SCSI cd. They rock, as do SCSI HDs

Mon, 26 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Andy,

Quote:

>Most IDE drivers don't let you....
>Most SCSI drivers do..

>I tried 5 different IDE cd-roms.. None of them could read DA..
>Bought a NEC SCSI drive.. It worked first time!!!

Could you please enlighten me?  Which NEC model?  Which SCSI Adapter?

--
                        Jim DeVries

                        '65 Monza - '94 Saturn SL2

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Andy,

Quote:

>Most IDE drivers don't let you....
>Most SCSI drivers do..

>I tried 5 different IDE cd-roms.. None of them could read DA..
>Bought a NEC SCSI drive.. It worked first time!!!

Could you please enlighten me?  Which NEC model?  Which SCSI Adapter?

--
                        Jim DeVries

                        '65 Monza - '94 Saturn SL2

Mon, 03 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

Me:

Quote:
>>The whole point of the exercise was to avoid this, to avoid the D/A
>>necessary to send the signal down those three cables and sample the music
>>digitally.  Then you can write it to, say, a CD-R without losing any
>>quality.

Quote:
>You'll be lucky.. It's entirely down to the manufacturer as to whether
>or not they let digital audio packets through the interface.. Even if they
>do you still must have a driver that lets the DA pass through.

Mmm.  Old s***ty Sony CD-ROM drives (that plug into the "sony" proprietary
interface) can do it :)  I read various tracks with it, then wrote them to
a blank CD-R.  The problem I had was this:  the software to do the reading
wasn't very intelligent and you would often end up with "skips" in the
recorded wav file.  The software should try to match the data from the new
read to the end of the last read... or do it in one continuous read (this
should be possible!  Especially on the system I was using, which has a
SCSI HD)
>:-P

Wed, 05 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

2. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

3. want code/info for playing audio cd's in CD-ROM

4. Distinguishing CD-ROM from CD/RW drives?

5. Reading CD-ROM files

6. How to Read the CD-ROM Drive directly

7. how to read cd-rom by BIOS?

8. Reading CD-ROM info

9. Cross-Platform CD Publishing - best CD-R drive/sw

10. CD, CD-RomRepair

11. ISO CD ballot for CD 14882, alias C++

12. Infomagic Languages CD-ROM, incl APL