pretty technical...Boot Record, FAT, and Root Directory
Author Message
 pretty technical...Boot Record, FAT, and Root Directory

Well, you can read from the A drive by using "0" as the station number
parameter in the load command. Enter "?" at the debug prompt for a
list of all commands and their parameters.

BTW, undeleting files by hand with debug isn't easy if these files are
in subdirectories... You might want to use a sector editor for this
task.

Quote:
>Hello everyone. I've been fooling around with DEBUG (you know in the
>windows\command folder) and really don't want to buy another Norton book to
>figure out how to use all of the commands. I'm trying to fighre out how to
>read and display info from the a: floppy drive e.g. boot record, FAT Root
>directory so that i can try to "undelete" files on my own. However, i can't
>change the drive or at least it seems like i can't. it would be really
>dangerous fooling around with a hard disk FAT. If anyone could post most to
>the Debug commnads e.g. d, l, u, a etc. or info regarding undeleting files,
>it would probably help me as well as everyone else using assembler with
>debug etc. thanks
>--

>Later,
>                                                                         :P
>Matt Russell ;P

>WWP http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

WWP http://wwp.mirabilis.com/180813

Thu, 20 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 pretty technical...Boot Record, FAT, and Root Directory

: Hello everyone. I've been fooling around with DEBUG (you know in the
: windows\command folder) and really don't want to buy another Norton book to
: figure out how to use all of the commands. I'm trying to fighre out how to
: read and display info from the a: floppy drive e.g. boot record, FAT Root
: directory so that i can try to "undelete" files on my own. However, i can't
: change the drive or at least it seems like i can't. it would be really
: dangerous fooling around with a hard disk FAT. If anyone could post most to
: the Debug commnads e.g. d, l, u, a etc. or info regarding undeleting files,
: it would probably help me as well as everyone else using assembler with
: debug etc. thanks
: --

there is supposed to be a tutorial somewhere.  Maybe on x2ftp.oulu.fi,
or maybe on simtel?  BTW I am halfway through with my own
de{*filter*} which does 386 stuff too.  It is kind of like debug,
but I cleaned up all the messy commands and made it nicer.  It's
only missing one command (a) but it also needs more features :).

Anyway, undeleting files is not for the faint of heart.  Before DOS 7.0
they actually had a utility to do it that came with DOS... I notice
that is gone now.  Probably something to do with the long file name
suppor :(.

David
:
: Later,
:                                                                          :P
: Matt Russell ;P
:
:

:
: WWP http://www.*-*-*.com/
:

Thu, 20 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Information on FAT/root needed

2. whats wrong with my FAT/root code:

3. Information on FAT/root needed

4. FAT/root woes

5. Working w/ FAT/Root

6. whats wrong with my FAT/root code:

7. Need info on BOOT and FAT

8. How cold boot works??? (technical)

9. FAT and DIRECTORY ENTRY

10. c5ptint.exe cannot run in the root directory ?

11. c5print.exe and c5printx.exe cannot run in the root directory of a network drive

12. root directory