looking for cpu checking, detecting
Author Message
 looking for cpu checking, detecting

Im looking for programs that detect cpu type (Cyrix, AMD, M7 etc. and
86/286/386/486/Pentium).
My email:

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for cpu checking, detecting

Quote:

>Im looking for programs that detect cpu type (Cyrix, AMD, M7 etc. and
>86/286/386/486/Pentium).
>My email:

Please refer to my two-article series (published in Dr. Dobb's Journal)
at http://www.x86.org/ddj.

--
"Intel Secrets -- What Intel doesn't want you to know"(  )     Robert Collins
HomePage:  http://www.x86.org               Anonymous FTP:  ftp://ftp.x86.org

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for cpu checking, detecting

Quote:

> Im looking for programs that detect cpu type (Cyrix, AMD, M7 etc. and
> 86/286/386/486/Pentium).

Michal,

Here is my new subject #9 from the FAQ for this newsgroup.  I just
revised it, so it is different from what is currently available on the
Internet.  Hopefully, you can find something at one of these sites.
Specifically, try Robert's DDJ articles and Grzegorz Mazur's site.
Obviously, Intel's solution will only report genuine Intel!

Ray

Subject: 9. How To Determine The CPU Type                       REVISED

9.1  CPUID PROGRAM

The type of processor and math coprocessor can be determined using two
functions that have been provided by Intel.  The source code to these
functions can be obtained from Intel by:

        ftp://ftp.intel.com/pub/IAL/tools_utils_demos/cpuid3.zip

Three source files are included in this .zip file.
        cpuid3a.asm - This source code file contains two assembly language
functions.  One determines the type of cpu from 8088/8086 to Pentium.
The second detects and identifies, if present, the type of math
coprocessor.
        cpuid3b.c - a c program that calls the above two functions and
displaysthe results.
        cpuid3c.asm - this is an assembly program equivalent to cpuid3b.c.

9.2  AP-485 INTEL PROCESSOR IDENTIFICATION WITH THE CPUID
INSTRUCTION                                                                                                                                                                                                     REVISED

This Application Note explains how to use the CPUID instruction in
software applications, BIOS implementations, and various processor
tools. By taking advantage of the CPUID instruction, software developers
can create software applications and tools that can execute compatibly
across the widest range of Intel processor generations and models, past,
present, and future.

        http://developer.intel.com/design/pro/applnots/241618.HTM

9.3  Robert Collins' CPUID.ASM                          REVISED

Robert Collins has written two columns for Dr. Dobb's Journal on this
subject.  These articles with source code is available on his web site:

        http://www.x86.org/ddj/ddj.html

9.4  Grzegorz Mazur's x86 CPU Identification

Grzegorz has a series of hypertext articles that explain x86 CPU
identification algorithms developed by himself.  Covered are not only
the Intel chips but also V20, V30 (remember them), and Cyrix and
alikes.  His page is located:

        http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm/x86/index.html

Last changed: 08 Mar 97
Ray Moon

http://www2.dgsys.com/~raymoon/moonware.html
Home of MoonWare Shareware and the x86 Assembly Language FAQ
Come steal my pages...   Well, not steal but come and see!

Fri, 27 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 looking for cpu checking, detecting

  Im looking for programs that detect cpu type (Cyrix, AMD, M7 etc.
  and
  86/286/386/486/Pentium).

Program: http://www.datadepo.com  (free stuff -> WhatCPU)
Info: see footer below
--
MyWebPage: http://grafi.ii.pw.edu.pl/gbm  (x86 secrets/tools and more)
To see my name, address and employer - read the mail header...

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Detecting 80x86 CPU type

2. Detecting when SpeedStep slows the CPU

3. detect intel cpu type, frequency...

4. detect number of CPU's

5. x86 ASM source code for detecting CPU

6. Detecting CPU

7. Detect CPU

8. Detecting Non-Intel 586 CPU's - HOW????

9. Detecting CPU speed

10. Detecting Pentium/Cyrix/AMD/etc CPU's?

11. Detecting CPU frequency

12. detecting cpu