How to read/write floppy disk through PORT?
Author Message
 How to read/write floppy disk through PORT?

I wish to know how to read/write floppy disk through PORT ?
thanx

From,
   Usystra

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to read/write floppy disk through PORT?

Quote:

> I wish to know how to read/write floppy disk through PORT ?

You'll have to check out the documentation for the Floppy Disk
Controller (FDC), the Programmable Interrupt Controller (PIC)
and the Direct Memory Access chip (DMA). To read (for example)
a disk using I/O ports, you'll generally 1) set up the DMA to
perform data transfer from FDC to memory, 2) set up the PIC to
inform the CPU when the transfer is complete, and 3) set up
the FDC to perform the transfer from disk to FDC.

Writing, of course, follows a similar pattern. You can find
all this information (along the port addresses and other
useful stuff) in "PC & PS/2 Programmer's Sourcebook" by Thom
Hogan, Microsoft Press. Also, Intel sells (cheap) data sheets
for their chips (and so do other chip manufacturers I've made
myself to believe). One good book would also be "Operating
Systems - Design and Implementation" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum,
Prentice-Hall. In this book he describes various aspects of
operating systems. The book also contains commented source
code for his Minix operating system (with the disk access
code, of course). And then, Linux source code is freely
available from any decent site (such as ftp.sunsite.edu).

HTH,
 AriL
--
All my opinions are mine and mine alone.

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to read/write floppy disk through PORT?

: >
: > I wish to know how to read/write floppy disk through PORT ?

I have a demo if you are interested...
:
: Writing, of course, follows a similar pattern. You can find
: all this information (along the port addresses and other
: useful stuff) in "PC & PS/2 Programmer's Sourcebook" by Thom
: Hogan, Microsoft Press. Also, Intel sells (cheap) data sheets
: for their chips (and so do other chip manufacturers I've made
: myself to believe). One good book would also be "Operating

A lot of manufacturers give them away and even pay postage to get them
to you.  If you really want the FDC specs, western digital has a nice
set... the DMA and PIC stuff can be found nearly anywhere but my refs
don't cover the FDC adequately.

David
: Systems - Design and Implementation" by Andrew S. Tanenbaum,
: Prentice-Hall. In this book he describes various aspects of
: operating systems. The book also contains commented source
: code for his Minix operating system (with the disk access
: code, of course). And then, Linux source code is freely
: available from any decent site (such as ftp.sunsite.edu).
:
: HTH,
:  AriL
: --
: All my opinions are mine and mine alone.

Wed, 24 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to read/write floppy disk through PORT ?

2. Code to Low-Level read/write to Floppy Disks

3. Need help reading/writing boot sector (floppy disk)

4. Floppy disk port i/o

5. Help wanted on reading/writing disk and writing your own OS

6. HOW TO WRITE A FLOPPY DISK DRIVER and CDROM

7. Help wanted on reading/writing disk and writing your own OS

8. Reading data from floppy disk

9. Floppy read & write

10. direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

11. direct read/write to FLOPPY + WIN NT ?

12. Toughie? Floppy read and DMA write problem