Vesa crap
Author Message
 Vesa crap

Hello..

I've been messing around with this VESA {*filter*}for a few days now.
And still, I haven't got a clue about what to do with a linear frame
buffer :-)
So can someone explain it to me? (With examples please)

And eehm.... can someone explain me how to work with 24bpp modes?
When I try to put some pixels on my screen, preferably in color, either
nothing happen or they have locations which I can't explain or they are
white....
Some info would be appreciated, but I already have a documentation about
vesa 2.0
And it doesn't help me very much :-)

Greetz, Wouter.

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Vesa crap

Ok first get the vesa VBE3 specifications they'll be very important.
So get this file:
ftp://ftp.vesa.org/pub/VBE/vbe3.pdf

Then read it entirely, at the end there's a program example which can help
for the begin.
If you want to activate flat mode, just set bit 14 of the mode number you
wanna have.
like this
mov ax,04F02h
mov bx,00114h OR 0B000h
int 10h
The physical base pointer you'll get will not do it directly as mem pointer,

first you must map the memory space with some DPMI function. They'll
send you then a pointer. Well that one you will be able to use as memory
location.
A good example for that comes with the DOS32v33 extender or DOS32b35
get them at:
 ftp://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/ftp/disk5/pc-demos/code/pmode/dos32b35.zip
 ftp://ftp.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/pub/disk/2/programming/mirror.x2ftp/msd...

Well it's not bad to have a look at it.
Finally when you got your adress (better use the 32 bit modes for speed)
just use rep movsd to copy images
and rep stosd to fill the screen.

Quote:

> Hello..

> I've been messing around with this VESA {*filter*}for a few days now.
> And still, I haven't got a clue about what to do with a linear frame
> buffer :-)
> So can someone explain it to me? (With examples please)

> And eehm.... can someone explain me how to work with 24bpp modes?
> When I try to put some pixels on my screen, preferably in color, either
> nothing happen or they have locations which I can't explain or they are
> white....
> Some info would be appreciated, but I already have a documentation about
> vesa 2.0
> And it doesn't help me very much :-)

> Greetz, Wouter.

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Why does awk crap out?

2. Stop this Crap

3. Don's World / Crap posting

4. Craps -- a beginning project

5. 100% private, 100% offshore 100% crap 8347.

6. fiddling with crap

7. C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada

8. C/C++ knocks the crap out of Ada

9. annual "crap-for-brains software" posting

10. a little more "crap"

11. Can you believe this crap?

12. PYTHON IS CRAP