GNU assembler symbols
Author Message
 GNU assembler symbols

Can anyone tell me how a symbol gets defined for
the GNU assembler?

When the assembler comes across a symbol, does it
first take previous definitions in the source
code?  Does it wait for later?

i.e.
  leal  -SIZEOFTABLE(%eax), %eax

further down in the source it says:

  SIZEOFTABLE = endoftable - startoftable.

I get:  Error: Unimplemented segment type
-272642304 in parse_operand

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 09:40:06 GMT
 GNU assembler symbols

Quote:

> Can anyone tell me how a symbol gets defined for
> the GNU assembler?

> When the assembler comes across a symbol, does it
> first take previous definitions in the source
> code?  Does it wait for later?

> i.e.
>   leal  -SIZEOFTABLE(%eax), %eax

> further down in the source it says:

>   SIZEOFTABLE = endoftable - startoftable.

> I get:  Error: Unimplemented segment type
> -272642304 in parse_operand

Show some more code that produces the problem.

Mon, 03 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 GNU assembler symbols

Quote:

> Can anyone tell me how a symbol gets defined for
> the GNU assembler?
> When the assembler comes across a symbol, does it
> first take previous definitions in the source
> code?  Does it wait for later?

Maybe you try this in a C file first and compile it with
gcc -S -o <file>.s <file>.c

In the <file>.s you get the compplete assembler code.

Regards
        Andreas
--
     ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
      `o_ o  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)

  http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~andy   ICQ-No. 14356454

Sun, 09 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. old assemblers--numeric symbols?

2. GNU Binary Utilities 2.5.1 released: now includes assembler (gas)

3. gnu assembler .type

4. GNU-assembler Help!

5. How to porting GNU assembler

6. 68000 assembly codes and GNU assembler ...

7. GNU Binary Utilities 2.5.1 released: now includes assembler (gas)

8. instruction set to use with gnu assembler (as/gas)

9. Structures in GNU assembler

10. GNU assembler mnemonics (for i386)

11. Using the GNU as assembler

12. GNU Assembler?