Any info 64-bit support in free assemblers ?
Author Message
 Any info 64-bit support in free assemblers ?

Hi there,

While there is some discussion going on in the group about free
assemblers I'd like to hear if someone wants to comment about
how they support 64-bit code ?

Particularly I have a PII running Slack/Win and an Alpha running RH
Linux and I'm wondering if there is any way to avoid writing a code
twice. I've been reading this group for about half an year and have
a ton of pointers to 32/16 bit (almost exclusively DOS) codes but
almost nothing for 64. Are there any freely available ?

Regards,

Andrei

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Any info 64-bit support in free assemblers ?

Quote:

>Particularly I have a PII running Slack/Win and an Alpha running RH
>Linux and I'm wondering if there is any way to avoid writing a code
>twice. I've been reading this group for about half an year and have
>a ton of pointers to 32/16 bit (almost exclusively DOS) codes but
>almost nothing for 64. Are there any freely available ?

You're pretty much toast here: how would you translate FSTSW AX
into Alpha code or a CALL_PAL instruction into x86 code?  Even
high level languages can have problems with the 32/64 bit issues;
look at all the posts in comp.os.linux.alpha about the problems
that have arisen in trying to port nyetscape to linux/alpha.

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Any info 64-bit support in free assemblers ?

Quote:
>While there is some discussion going on in the group about free
>assemblers I'd like to hear if someone wants to comment about
>how they support 64-bit code ?

>Particularly I have a PII running Slack/Win and an Alpha running RH
>Linux and I'm wondering if there is any way to avoid writing a code
>twice. I've been reading this group for about half an year and have
>a ton of pointers to 32/16 bit (almost exclusively DOS) codes but
>almost nothing for 64. Are there any freely available ?

I'm not exactly sure what your question is.  Are you looking for
an assembler that understands 64 bit Alpha code?  If so, you already
have one, the GNU assembler (usually invoked as "as") on your Alpha.
If you're looking for single assembler on either system that understands
both 16/32 bit 80x86 code and 64 bit Alpha code, well, you can always
compile GAS to do cross assembly.

If you're looking for something that will allow you to write a single
piece of code that will be able to run under both architectures, you already
have that, too.  It's called a C compiler.  The code it produces probably
won't be as efficient as assembly code, but it will compile on both without
problems (especially since you have Linux on both).

If you're try to find a tool with will take an piece of code written
in 80x86 assembly, and convert it into Alpha assembly, you're pretty
much out of luck.  In that case you always have the option of running your
x86 code under an emulator (i.e. Bochs) or rewriting it from scratch.

Eric
--
Eric Korpela                        |  An object at rest can never be

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Any info 64-bit support in free assemblers ?
Hi,

Thanks to all who replied.

Sorry for confusing a bit. My formalisation turned to be too vague :-(
Basically I have 3 questions:

Quote:
>>how they support 64-bit code ?
[...]
>>Particularly I have a PII running Slack/Win and an Alpha running RH

[...]
and

Quote:
>>almost nothing for 64. Are there any freely available ?

>I'm not exactly sure what your question is.  Are you looking for
>an assembler that understands 64 bit Alpha code?

Well, yes, I know about GAS. A'm not sure about NASM and under "how" I
meant to ask opinion, say, from people who worked with them :-) Are
there any free alternatives for GAS to support Alpha and if there are,
which ?

Quote:
>  If so, you already
>have one, the GNU assembler (usually invoked as "as") on your Alpha.
>If you're looking for single assembler on either system that understands
>both 16/32 bit 80x86 code and 64 bit Alpha code, well, you can always
>compile GAS to do cross assembly.

Thanks for pointing this out. Well, I'd love to be aware of such tips
and do not look like a complete newbie, but time :-( ...
[C]
Yeh, I have to drop my several years experience with C and to work
with asm only because I know that I can't afford unefficiency :-(
Another reason is that 90% of program will deal with objects of
arbitrary bit length and I do not expect that gcc is ready to generate
a fast addition of (say) 46-bit objects.

Quote:

>If you're try to find a tool with will take an piece of code written
>in 80x86 assembly, and convert it into Alpha assembly, you're pretty
>much out of luck.

Yes I suppose so. From digging in dejanews I gathered that you are the
only person working with GAS who likes to post periodically :-) I
decided to start converting some relevant 32-bit TASM code to 64-bit
GAS for Alpha myself.

Quote:
>  In that case you always have the option of running your
>x86 code under an emulator (i.e. Bochs) or rewriting it from scratch.

Exactly. And as far as I can see the answer on my 3rd question is NO
:-(

Quote:

>Eric
>--
>Eric Korpela                        |  An object at rest can never be

Sincerely,

Andrei

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 64-bit expr support at the Tcl level (even on 32-bit OSes)

2. TIP #72: 64-Bit Value Support for Tcl on 32-Bit Platforms

3. 64-Bit Hexadecimal to 64-Bit Binary

4. x86-64 performance: 32 bit vs 64 bit

5. zOS 64 bit Assembler

6. zSeries 900 introduction and 64-bit support

7. 64-bit integer support in M2

8. Are 64 bit integers supported in PL1 ?

9. 64 bit integer support as native type

10. 64 -bit support

11. 64-bit support?

12. Solaris f77: problem with 64-bit support for logicals