PM to VM86 to PM ?
Author Message
 PM to VM86 to PM ?

Let say i'm in protected mode and want to make a bios call using a vm86,
what is the best/recommended way to come back from the vm ? What
instruction/op should i use to generate an pm exception (a GPR) ? Anyone ?

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:36:02 GMT
 PM to VM86 to PM ?
| Let say i'm in protected mode and want to make a bios call using a
| vm86, what is the best/recommended way to come back from the vm ? What
| instruction/op should i use to generate an pm exception (a GPR) ?

I use a special interrupt to trap back into protected mode. Pretty much
anything (e.g. exception handler) that traps back into ring 0 will work.

--
Tim Robinson
http://www.themoebius.org.uk/

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:56:02 GMT
 PM to VM86 to PM ?

Quote:
>Let say i'm in protected mode and want to make a bios call using a vm86,
>what is the best/recommended way to come back from the vm ? What
>instruction/op should i use to generate an pm exception (a GPR) ?

I don't know what the best is, but I allways use an INT intruction. An INT
instruction will generate the exceptions, and should be handled by de
v86 monitor anyway.

Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:56:09 GMT
 PM to VM86 to PM ?
Just for grins:  Note that if you make the mistake of using the ARPL
instruction to transfer control from VM to PM, you will infringe on a
Microsoft Patent # 4,974,159 issued November 27, 1990:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1...

Quote:

> Let say i'm in protected mode and want to make a bios call using a vm86,
> what is the best/recommended way to come back from the vm ? What
> instruction/op should i use to generate an pm exception (a GPR) ? Anyone ?

I've been getting a lot of junk e-mail lately,
so to reply to me directly, delete "despam".

Sat, 22 Jan 2005 04:55:53 GMT

1. **** SERIAL COMMUNICATION CLASSES FOR OS/2 PM (SMALLTALK V/PM)

2. Real mode -> PM -> VM86 mode

3. Memory Management - Smalltalk/V PM

4. Object World sponsoring Smalltalk '95 Birds of a feather Monday 8/14 at 5:45 pm

5. TEC PM-B-472 printer

6. PM out of resources during Oracle query

7. VAST 3.0: PM Notebook page dynamic show / hide

8. help on memory leaks in SM/V OS2/PM

9. Checking AM or PM

10. Linking C Module To PM Program

11. Switch pM