-KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?
Author Message
 -KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?

Just as the subject says, i'm wondering if you guys use assembler in windows
program, or are you doing something else (like old dos programming) ?
                                -Keith Weatherby II

*Keith Weatherby II*

Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 -KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?
More and more dos programmers are starting windows programming now that
there is enough information to program in assembly, because you can get
all the speed from a dos program and with a user interface.

Quote:
> program, or are you doing something else (like old dos programming)?

dos programming isn't that old, as a lot of people are still doing it,
and more and more ms-dos like operating systems are being made.

Dave

Quote:
>                                 -Keith Weatherby II

> *Keith Weatherby II*

Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 -KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?

Quote:

> More and more dos programmers are starting windows programming now that
> there is enough information to program in assembly, because you can get
> all the speed from a dos program and with a user interface.

That's what I need. Assembly is no problem for me. Even I build my own
assembler for protected mode. But it doesn't work under Windows.
Can you exactly tell me which program I need for assembly programming
in Windows. What I mean is: I write the assembler code, then compile it,
and build it to an executabele, working under Windows(32bit).

Or is this not possible?

Greetings, Jawade.

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 -KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?

Quote:
>>Can you exactly tell me which program I need for assembly programming
>>in Windows.

        Well, I use TASM 5.0 and TLINK, both by inprise(borland).
Turbo Assembler is a very good assembler for making windows programs,
and it comes with many tools to use to build windows applications, such
as resource compilers, and the other little stuff that windows needs.

        It's not free though.  Actually, there are some sites that let
you download the full version to try it first(i'm not sure if this is
legal).  But anyway, I'm sure there are other assemblers out there
that do the job, but TASM is the only one i've used.

Dave

Quote:

> > More and more dos programmers are starting windows programming now that
> > there is enough information to program in assembly, because you can get
> > all the speed from a dos program and with a user interface.

> That's what I need. Assembly is no problem for me. Even I build my own
> assembler for protected mode. But it doesn't work under Windows.
> Can you exactly tell me which program I need for assembly programming
> in Windows. What I mean is: I write the assembler code, then compile it,
> and build it to an executabele, working under Windows(32bit).

> Or is this not possible?

> Greetings, Jawade.

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 -KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?

Quote:

> Just as the subject says, i'm wondering if you guys use assembler in windows
> program, or are you doing something else (like old dos programming) ?
>                                 -Keith Weatherby II

> *Keith Weatherby II*

You might try "Windows Assembly Language and Systems Programming" by Barry
Kauler
ISBN 087930474X

It's 16 bit coverage is better than it's 32 bit coverage but it does cover the
topic.

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 -KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?

Quote:

> That's what I need. Assembly is no problem for me. Even I build my own
> assembler for protected mode. But it doesn't work under Windows.
> Can you exactly tell me which program I need for assembly programming
> in Windows. What I mean is: I write the assembler code, then compile it,
> and build it to an executabele, working under Windows(32bit).

For MS Visual C: Just compile a "Hello, world!" program with "-Fa" switch.
You'll get the stub that does everything you might neeed. However the
Visual C startup code will be required for ASM programs, that are compiled
that way (LIBC.LIB).
Personally, I don't see why someone might want to develop a Windows
application in PURE assembly - it's easier to develop a program in C,
then just optimize speed-critical parts of code for a common application,
or to write hardware access and some protected mode tricks (if there are)
for device driver. IMHO this will give the best "Performance"/"Development
time" value....

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 -KWII- Do you guys use ASM in windows programming?

....That's what I need. Assembly is no problem for me. Even I build my own

Quote:
>assembler for protected mode. But it doesn't work under Windows.
>Can you exactly tell me which program I need for assembly programming
>in Windows. What I mean is: I write the assembler code, then compile it,
>and build it to an executabele, working under Windows(32bit).

You'll find just about everything you need here
http://www.eccentrica.org/Mammon/assembly.html

check out the 'Tools' section.

Fri, 13 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Has anyone done any Windows CE programming?

2. Using DirectX in Win32 Asm Programs

3. Font Programming in Borland C (Using inline ASM)

4. Help on what and how to convert asm program to run under Windows NT

5. making DLLs in ASM for Windows programs...

6. A question about windows asm program?

7. Windows ASM Programming

8. Help! windows programming in asm

9. windows program in asm

10. Q:Looking Sample ASM Program for windows

11. Q:Looking Sample ASM Program for windows

12. ASM Programming for Windows