PC partition tables
Author Message
 PC partition tables

I'm trying to read the partition tables of my hard disk.
The ordinary partition tables are no problem but I
can't find the extended partition tables. Does anyone
know where about on the disk I should be looking for
them?

----------------------------------

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PC partition tables

Quote:

> I'm trying to read the partition tables of my hard disk.
> The ordinary partition tables are no problem but I
> can't find the extended partition tables. Does anyone
> know where about on the disk I should be looking for

If you mean "DOS Extended Partition" it has its own
table in its first sector. Usually it contains two
definitions: one for logical drive, and another which
defines remaining space as next extended partition.

Tue, 31 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PC partition tables

Quote:

> I'm trying to read the partition tables of my hard disk.
> The ordinary partition tables are no problem but I
> can't find the extended partition tables. Does anyone
> know where about on the disk I should be looking for
> them?

        What's an extended partition table??? never heard of that. Every
hard disk has a partition table, but I don't think they have an extended
partition table... what's the use of that??

        Sorry I can't help, but tell me (us) what you're talking about..

See you,

Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PC partition tables

Quote:

>I'm trying to read the partition tables of my hard disk.
>The ordinary partition tables are no problem but I
>can't find the extended partition tables. Does anyone
>know where about on the disk I should be looking for
>them?

I type this info by heart, it may contain some errors.
Usually, the entries in the partition table contain, as you probably know:
   boot indicator
   starting cylinder, head, sector
   system indicator
   ending cylinder, head, sector,
   some more data.
When the system indicator is 6, the entry points to an extended partition. Read
its starting cylinder, head, sector. This is the extended partition table! It
may contain entries referring to more extnded partition tables.

-------
Feico Nater, Netherland
-------
Herzliebster Jesu, was hast du verbrochen,
Da? man ein solch scharf Urteil hat gesprochen?
Was ist die Schuld, in was fr Missetaten
Bist du geraten?

Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 PC partition tables

I was asking for something specific and perfect for my city,
Whereupon lo! upsprang the post of John Burton

Quote:
>I'm trying to read the partition tables of my hard disk.
>The ordinary partition tables are no problem but I
>can't find the extended partition tables. Does anyone
>know where about on the disk I should be looking for
>them?

I don't know the term "extended partition table".  What is it?  Sounds
like something that is maker specific.

Fri, 03 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. PC partition tables

2. Help - Partition Table problem - Lost access to extended partition

3. Partition not accessible under DOS due to wrong partition table entry

4. Partition Table Question

5. Reading Partition Table

6. DPT - Disk partition Table help

7. LBA/CHS and Partition Table