bios ints and pmode
Author Message
 bios ints and pmode

I'm making my own OS.  Am I right that you can't use BIOS ints such as 10h
and 13h in protected mode? If so, where can I find an code to use an IDE hd
without BIOS?
Thanks

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 bios ints and pmode

Quote:

> I'm making my own OS.  Am I right that you can't use BIOS ints such as 10h
> and 13h in protected mode? If so, where can I find an code to use an IDE hd
> without BIOS?

  I have seen it in several places, but forget where (my own was
done at work, not home, so I can't share it).  I am sure someone
else will post a link.

  I want to suggest an alternative.  Use V86 mode to call the
BIOS from pmode.  You can find a good example of that on my
web page.  All the example source on my web page is
unrestricted.  Use it anyway you want.  (No warranty, of
course).

  For a finished OS, using V86 mode for IDE or floppy or
keyboard would be a rotten idea.  While you are creating
your OS, I think it is a great idea.  Learn to call the
BIOS with V86 mode and all at once you get IDE, floppy,
keyboard, VGA mode change, and anything else that you
might want the BIOS for.

  After more of your OS is done you can replace those
one at a time with direct code.  You may want to retain
the V86 mode as a fallback in case someone wants to use
your OS with a SCSI card you don't support or a VGA
card that you don't know how to change modes on.
--
http://www.erols.com/johnfine/
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Peaks/8600/

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 bios ints and pmode

Quote:
> I'm making my own OS.  Am I right that you can't use BIOS ints such as
10h
> and 13h in protected mode? If so, where can I find an code to use an IDE
hd
> without BIOS?
> Thanks

Here you go

ATAPI and other storage stuff:
ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/lps/hard-disk/

my jump page, most graphic related:
http://www.iae.dtu.dk/u/a972750/linkz.htm

Best regards

Simon Strandgaard

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 bios ints and pmode

I've also seen some Win31 DDK stuff with the source for some windows VxD,
for instance WDCTRL.ASM which is the Western Digital IDE Controller
source...

If you go to ftpsearch.lycos.com and search for "ddk286" and "ddk386"
you'll
find it...

--
Regards,