32bit mem range and 32bit instruction, no pmode
Author Message
 32bit mem range and 32bit instruction, no pmode

Is there anyway to program the 386+ to access up to 4 GB of memory and use
32bit instructions by default (no opcodes [66h] [67h]) without being in
protected mode? I though of switching to big real mode and setting the d/p
bit in the GDT but all that did was reset my computer, was there an error in
my program or can't I do that? how can I do this? Any help would be
EXTREMELY useful, thanks.

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 06:55:56 GMT
 32bit mem range and 32bit instruction, no pmode
you can do that to a certain extent (there are problems with interrupts vectors
not extending out to 32-bits when not actually in protected mode).  The problem
is, the bios will not run if you set your code segment up this way, so you have
no code base to work from.

David

Quote:

> Is there anyway to program the 386+ to access up to 4 GB of memory and use
> 32bit instructions by default (no opcodes [66h] [67h]) without being in
> protected mode? I though of switching to big real mode and setting the d/p
> bit in the GDT but all that did was reset my computer, was there an error in
> my program or can't I do that? how can I do this? Any help would be
> EXTREMELY useful, thanks.

Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:59:02 GMT

1. 32bit PMODE

2. going 32bit pmode in a .COM (possible?)

3. 32bit PMODE

4. how to build a 32bit pmode exe with NASM

5. 32bit Instruction set

6. RISC 32bit instruction word -- Why not 16?!

7. 16bit/32bit instruction

8. 32bit stos instructions

9. 32Bit Icon in 9 and X

10. 32bit File Icon