Quick Question!!!!!
Author Message
 Quick Question!!!!!

where can i get the asm source for dos interupts.

Instead of int 21h i would like the entire source code as coded into DOS.

Thanks.

Decipher.

Fri, 09 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

Quote:

> where can i get the asm source for dos interupts.

> Instead of int 21h i would like the entire source code as coded into DOS.

Maybe the gubmint will force MS to go open source...
Meantime, your best bet might be:

http://www.freedos.org

Best,
Frank

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

Quote:
> where can i get the asm source for dos interupts.
> Instead of int 21h i would like the entire source code as coded into
> DOS.

   DOS interrupts are handled in MSDOS.SYS (Microsoft)
or corresponding kernels (other producents).
You might disassemble the kernel or trace into INT 21
with de{*filter*} but I don't think that would be
of much use for you.
Look at the FreeDOS Project which is beeing
developped under GNU licence so sources are public.
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Bye,
Sr.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

Quote:

> where can i get the asm source for dos interupts.

This would be Microsoft copyright (and would probably not be entirely written
in asm at all - I guess MS use C with just enough asm to get by).  However,
there is a DOS clone released under the GPL (meaning you can get your hands
on the source) with a homepage at

    www.freedos.org

However, be warned - I think I read somewhere that the source for the kernel
(the bit you want) is uncommented.

Regards,

Ben.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

M$ has not released MSDOS sources.

The only solution is disassembying binaries. But you also may start from
the scratch and invent your own DOS-like services. Why not?

Good Luck
Alexei A. Frounze

Quote:

> where can i get the asm source for dos interupts.

> Instead of int 21h i would like the entire source code as coded into DOS.

> Thanks.

> Decipher.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

Quote:

> where can i get the asm source for dos interupts.
> Instead of int 21h i would like the entire source code as coded into DOS.

Huh, DOS version? And what do you mean by "instead".

btw: Don't forget DOS is made up by many small (sub) functions, many INT 2F
functions too. There is not just a INT 21 interrupt.

WD

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

I saw a book in the local Barnes & Noble this past week outlining much about
how FreeDOS works, the majority of it being written in C. Do a search at
www.bn.com or amazon.com and I'm sure you'll find this book.

Steve

Quote:

> > where can i get the asm source for dos interupts.
> > Instead of int 21h i would like the entire source code as coded into
> > DOS.

>    DOS interrupts are handled in MSDOS.SYS (Microsoft)
> or corresponding kernels (other producents).
> You might disassemble the kernel or trace into INT 21
> with de{*filter*} but I don't think that would be
> of much use for you.
> Look at the FreeDOS Project which is beeing
> developped under GNU licence so sources are public.
>   http://www.*-*-*.com/

> --
> Bye,
> Sr.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Before you buy.

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

Quote:

>But you also may start from
>the scratch and invent your own DOS-like services.

Have you done that yourself? What material would you suggest to study
in order to be able to do that?

Manuel Algora

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

Such a short question imples a long answer. :)

Well, first of all you must already know which functions will your OS
project support. You may make half or quarter just like made in DOS
(thus you should have manual on DOS service functions/interrupts).

Second thing, is knowing BIOS, since you might develop some functions
BIOS-based (disk I/O, for example).

Third thing is knowing standard computer devices and knowing how to
program them (keyboard, timer, real time clock, mouse, (S)VGA card,
mouse, sound blaster, printer (parallel I/O), serial I/O, floppy disk
controller, hard disk controller, DMA, Programmable Interrupt
Controller,...)
This is needed if you're going not to use BIOS at all or BIOS doesn't
support some devices (mouses, CD-ROMs, sound blasters,net cards...).

This *third* thing is what I look for for 3 years. I have a lot of
docs/tutorials and examples related to this stuff. I was surfing INet
for info, buying/reading books, etc). Most of things listed above are
known and tried myself (except for networknig stuff and CDs).

As for me, I have not made something similar to DOS and any other really
working OS project as well. That's because nowadays any AT computer
based OS must be done in PMode. So I work on PMode for 1.5 years.
Right now I can start the project and I do some stuff, but something
really working won't out very soon.

Ask more questions, I'll answer with pleasure.

Btw, you may visit my
homepage: http://alexfru.chat.ru
mirror: http://members.xoom.com/alexfru

There are a lot of TurboPascal programs, 3d engines, PMode tutorials,
docs...

Good Luck
Alexei A. Frounze

Quote:

> >But you also may start from
> >the scratch and invent your own DOS-like services.

> Have you done that yourself? What material would you suggest to study
> in order to be able to do that?

> Manuel Algora

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Quick Question!!!!!

Quote:

>Such a short question imples a long answer. :)

Really long. Thanks!

Well, it sums up in being a long and windy road, indeed. But that's
what makes assembler cool after all.

(BTW, I never saw my own posting. I assume it has to do with my own
ISP...)

Manuel Algora

Mon, 12 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Quick Question...