Distinguishing CD-ROM from CD/RW drives?
Author Message
 Distinguishing CD-ROM from CD/RW drives?

        How does software tell the difference between read-only CD-ROM
drives and those which can also write?  Is this possible using one of the
INT 2Fh functions that can be called from DOS?  (I have a little .ASM
program that lists the drives on my machines by type, and would like to
add this ability to it.)
                                                        --Donald Davis

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:17:13 GMT
 Distinguishing CD-ROM from CD/RW drives?
You need to send several CDBs to the drive.  Look at the MMC3 specification
to begin.

Quote:
> How does software tell the difference between read-only CD-ROM
> drives and those which can also write?  Is this possible using one of the
> INT 2Fh functions that can be called from DOS?  (I have a little .ASM
> program that lists the drives on my machines by type, and would like to
> add this ability to it.)
> --Donald Davis

Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:40:15 GMT

1. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

2. Programming CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW

3. Distinguish CD-ROM and Network-drive

4. Sending commands to CD-RW drives?

5. want code/info for playing audio cd's in CD-ROM

6. CD-Rom: Direct Read from Music-CD ???

7. Cross-Platform CD Publishing - best CD-R drive/sw

8. Detecting CD Rom Drive

9. Opening/Closing CD-ROM drive

10. How to Read the CD-ROM Drive directly

11. Need info on CD-ROM(audio) Drives and how to control them

12. Playing with the CD-ROM Drive