newbie....a few questions
Author Message
 newbie....a few questions

Hello,

A young friend who's a C++ programmer told me I must be crazy  trying
to learn assembly at my age (50)... :-)

I did a little VB, C++ and Java in the past, in a very very modest way
believe me, and all that time I was interested in asm. For lots of
reasons I didn't start with it.

Last week I decided to take the big step even it will be for pleasure
only, no big programming for me. I would be nice if I could understand
it and have fun...and if I could write a few small utilities like I
did in those other languages.

So I collected TASM, NASM and the book Art of Assembly from the Net
together with a few tutorials. But....I must say to my surprise there
are almost no EXAMPLES to find.
Because I'm only interested in windows95/98 programming I came to the
conclusion that I'm maybe asking too much, maybe asm is intended for
DOS...there's nothing about w95...not where I tried to find it...
 So here I am with a few questions:

- where can I find examples how to program in asm for win95 ?
- what about the libs in TASM 5.0 ( NASM seems to have none), are they

  ready for w95 or do I have to use another assembler ?

I'm afraid a few of you will tell me to try in DOS first, but that's
not the way I learn things, sorry if that doesn't match your point of
view :-)

I hope somebody will guide me on my way to asm.
Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Parco
Pls remove *xyz-* from e-mail address

Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie....a few questions

Quote:
> So I collected TASM, NASM and the book Art of Assembly from the Net
> together with a few tutorials. But....I must say to my surprise there
> are almost no EXAMPLES to find.

If you would like to start with assembler for Win32, then may be you
should try the easiest ones first and work your way up to the more complex
ones. Once you understand the concepts, it isn't much hard to code in
assembler and is actually fun... :))))

try out the following web sites, that contain good examples:
http://members.xoom.com/Iczel/
http://www.eskimo.com/~htak/win95asm/win95asm.htm

also take a look at my web site it also contains some useful information
about programming under Windows, as well as some ready made libraries that
are very helpfull. The address is: http://asm32.cjb.net

I personally would recommend to use Turbo Assembler 5.0 and ALink for
programming under Win32! I know others won't agree and some will, but
that's my choice :)))

bye4now
-Bogo-

Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie....a few questions
Learning asm has absolutely nothing todo with a target OS.  Whether you
write for dos or win, x86 asm is the same.  BTW, don't write win
programs in ASM it's just a pain in the ass.  Write the time critical
code like you should in ASM but not the entire program.  Same thing for
DOS.  Why waste three hours inventing the wheel for every app when you
can use a simple c lib?

Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 24 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie....a few questions

   >Learning asm has absolutely nothing todo with a target OS.  Whether
   >you write for dos or win, x86 asm is the same.  BTW, don't write win
   >programs in ASM it's just a pain in the ass.  Write the time
   >critical code like you should in ASM but not the entire program.
   >Same thing for DOS.  Why waste three hours inventing the wheel for
   >every app when you can use a simple c lib?

Experienced ASM programmers don't =need= to "invent the wheel for every
app."  They've already accummulated or otherwise acquired their own
collection of routines.  These routines can either be called from an
outboard "library" (yes, just like in C), or can be cut-and-pasted into
the code, as needed.  And -- unlike C -- the routines can be immediately
altered by the programmer, if the need arises.

Handling source code is a lot like handling women, son.  There's more
than one way to go about it.  Using a "standardized" method may not
always be efficient or effective in getting you where you want to be.

There's a value in being able to instantly improvise if the situation
calls for it.  It might take a little longer sometimes, but the results
are usually well worth it.

Return address is mangled to foil spambots. Remove all "g"s to e-mail.

Net-Tamer V 1.08X - Test Drive

Sun, 25 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 newbie....a few questions

Quote:
>If you would like to start with assembler for Win32, then may be you
>should try the easiest ones first and work your way up to the more complex
>ones. Once you understand the concepts, it isn't much hard to code in
>assembler and is actually fun... :))))

When I was making my first steps in C++ and Java ( as I said before:
in a very modest way) I always wanted to start with asm. Don't ask me
why, maybe it was a bigger challenge...anyway, I'm in it now, only for
fun but that isn't going me to stop me from learning it  and..asking
lot's of questions in the group :-)

Quote:
>also take a look at my web site it also contains some useful information
>about programming under Windows, as well as some ready made libraries that
>are very helpfull. The address is: http://asm32.cjb.net

I just did and downloaded Alink and the source listings.

Quote:
>I personally would recommend to use Turbo Assembler 5.0 and ALink for
>programming under Win32! I know others won't agree and some will, but
>that's my choice :)))

Well maybe in time I will disagree with you too. For now I'm going to
follow up your advice and see where this takes me :-)

Many thanks for your reply.
Take care

Quote:

>bye4now
>-Bogo-

Greetings from Parco
Pls remove *xyz-* from e-mail address

Sun, 25 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please asm newbie with few questions

2. A few more newbie questions..

3. Few newbie syntax questions

4. A few newbie questions...

5. a few newbie questions...

6. Newbie here, a few questions

7. A few newbie questions

8. A few more newbie questions

9. A few newbie questions

10. Newbie has a few questions

11. Some questions on elided text in the text widget (and a few other text widget questions)