Information of the number of cycles for an instruction
Author Message
 Information of the number of cycles for an instruction

Can anyone tell me where I can find information on the number of
cycles an instruction takes plus the time a cycle takes?

Thanks in advance.

| Zhihui Zhang, http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~zzhang |
| Dept. of Computer Science,  SUNY at Binghamton |

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Information of the number of cycles for an instruction

says...

Quote:
> Can anyone tell me where I can find information on the number of
> cycles an instruction takes plus the time a cycle takes?

On a modern processor, the basic concept of the number of cycles an
instruction takes can approach meaningless.  Nearly all modern
processors support executing more than one instruction at a time, and
most support executing instructions out of order, to at least some
degree.  The speed at which one instruction finishes execution
typically depends heavily on the instructions that precede and follow
it in the instruction stream.  Depending on the position in the
stream, the effective time taken by an instruction can often be
essentially zero.

The amount of time a cycle takes is simpler: it's the inverse of the
speed of the computer.  E.g. on a machine that runs at 300 MHz, one
cycle is 1/300,000,000 of a second.

Wed, 11 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Number of clock cycles for instructions on pentium

2. Instruction execution times (cycles).

3. One-cycle instructions

4. clock cycle to instruction conversion

5. One Cycle/Byte Penalty when using 386+ instructions

6. MMX and 3DNow instruction clock cycles

7. Cycle counts of instructions with scalars and displacements?

8. Cycles per instruction lists?

9. # of cycles for x86 instructions?

10. Clock cycles / Instruction

11. # cycles for CPU instructions