1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...
Author Message
 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

Hi all, this is the third stupid question I have for you. As usual,
write all your insults in replies and do not say them by voice: I
can't hear you... ;-)
Ok, I would like someone to tell me what is little endian and what is
big endian. I'm Italian and I don't know them at all. Maybe I call 'em
in a different way, but I don't know. Many thanx for your replies...

Gianni Rondinini, programmer and designer at Pierre s.n.c.
Mailboxes:

Homepages:
www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/park/7666
www.angelfire.com/ky/GianniRondinini       (still out of order)

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

Quote:

>Hi all, this is the third stupid question I have for you. As usual,
>write all your insults in replies and do not say them by voice: I
>can't hear you... ;-)
>Ok, I would like someone to tell me what is little endian and what is
>big endian. I'm Italian and I don't know them at all. Maybe I call 'em
>in a different way, but I don't know. Many thanx for your replies...

Where the most significant bits of a multi address contiguous binary
number  is in the lowest address ---- that is big endian

Where the least significant bits of a multi address contiguous binary
number is in the lowest address ----- that is little endian.

Thus PDP11's Vax's,  Intel 80x86's are little endian
and   IBM 370 lookalikes, 68000 are big endian.

processors like the PowerPc have a bit in a status word which can let it
do either one.

Intel
x       DW      01234h
x will contain 34h
x+1 will contain 12h
This is little endian

Motorola
x       DC.W    $1234
x will contain 12 hex
x+1 will contain 34 hex
This is big endian

Nuff said?

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

Quote:

>Hi all, this is the third stupid question I have for you. As usual,
>write all your insults in replies and do not say them by voice: I
>can't hear you... ;-)
>Ok, I would like someone to tell me what is little endian and what is
>big endian. I'm Italian and I don't know them at all. Maybe I call 'em
>in a different way, but I don't know. Many thanx for your replies...

>Gianni Rondinini, programmer and designer at Pierre s.n.c.

Hi Gianni-

   The concept is very simple.  It typically applies to computers
that are "byte" addressable.  So, to handle data types that are
bigger than a byte, you must use more than one byte.  In the case
of 16 bit words, you need two bytes to contain all 16 bits.  Now
you have a decision to make:  Which byte will represent the most
significant bits and which will represent the least significant
bits.

   Little endian means that the least (little) significant bits
are in the first (lowest address) byte anf the most significant
bits are in the second (address + 1) byte.

   Big endian is just the reverse.  The most (big) significant
bits are contained in the first (lowest address) and the least
significant bits are found in the second (address + 1) byte.

   The x86 machines are little endian and the 68k machines are
big endian.

   Cases can be made for which is "better" or "worse", but that
is a whole different topic.

   I hope this helps.

         Jim Neil           ___  ___/  ____/   ___  /   ____/   ____/
      Creator of The            /     /       /    /   /       /
TERSE Programming Language     /     ___/      ___/ ____  /   ___/
   ISBN:  0-9652660-0-1       /     /       /  \         /   /

   http://www.terse.com

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

PI>Hi all, this is the third stupid question I have for you. As usual,
PI>write all your insults in replies and do not say them by voice: I
PI>can't hear you... ;-)
PI>Ok, I would like someone to tell me what is little endian and what is
PI>big endian. I'm Italian and I don't know them at all. Maybe I call 'em
PI>in a different way, but I don't know. Many thanx for your replies...

If you have the number 1234h in a register on an x86 cpu and you move it
in to memory, it is stored as 34h 12h. That's called little endian. On a
motorola processor it would store it in memory as 12h 34h. That's big
endian. AFAIK, that's the whole story. I hope you enjoyed it..

Mon, 26 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

Quote:
>Hi all, this is the third stupid question I have for you. As usual,
>write all your insults in replies and do not say them by voice: I
>can't hear you... ;-)
>Ok, I would like someone to tell me what is little endian and what is
>big endian. I'm Italian and I don't know them at all. Maybe I call 'em
>in a different way, but I don't know. Many thanx for your replies...

As an added note to other contributions, look at:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/ien/ien-137.txt.3

Bye.

-  Conceived through intercalation and juxtaposition -
proteus at worldaccess.nl, word player avant la lettre
geek s/n 0x0a11fab2, ad-hacks to fix your bucks

Tue, 27 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Big-endian v. Little-endian

2. String#unpack and big-endian versus little-endian

3. big endian to little endian conversion

4. Little-Endian and Big-Endian?

5. Big-endian vs little-endian

6. BIG-ENDIAN ... LITTLE-ENDIAN conversion

7. Writing big-endian binary files on a little-endian computer

8. Little Endian/Big Endian in g77-linux

9. Big-Endian/Little-Endian

10. limited test-less loop-less call-full repetition

12. Little endian problem with Dual Procs