Low level disk access
Author Message
 Low level disk access

How would ou go about accessing a disk w/o using
the bios functions.  The only info about reading
directly from the HD that I have been able to
find was limited to the first 512MB.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Low level disk access

Wher did you find that info? Because at least that's a start.

Quote:

>How would ou go about accessing a disk w/o using
>the bios functions.  The only info about reading
>directly from the HD that I have been able to
>find was limited to the first 512MB.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Low level disk access

Quote:

>How would ou go about accessing a disk w/o using
>the bios functions.  The only info about reading
>directly from the HD that I have been able to
>find was limited to the first 512MB.

If your OS allows it then you can talk direct to the disk controller.
You should be able to find details using a search engine.

Regards,
David.

--
Spam safe e-mail address (I hope), remove not. both
times it appears to contact me.  I reserve the right

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Low level disk access

Get ATA Specs (use vers 3 or 4) here: http://www.t13.org/

I don't know why the info you had was limited to 512 MB's. Both CHS and LBA
modes can access 128 gigs unless you use BIOS (assuming a drive that allows
for such a logical CHS geometry).

 - Ed pizzi

PizziOS is a small fast 32-bit segmented
open source operating  system written in
x86 assembly.  --  http://pizzi.cjb.net/

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Low level disk access

On Sun 08 Oct 2000 07:58:34p,  In article

Quote:

>>How would ou go about accessing a disk w/o using
>>the bios functions.  The only info about reading
>>directly from the HD that I have been able to
>>find was limited to the first 512MB.

>If your OS allows it then you can talk direct to the disk controller.
>You should be able to find details using a search engine.

If it's an ATA-IDE disk, here's some example C code showing how to talk
directly to the disk:

http://www.vsp.cape.com/~prozac/diskio/atasn.txt

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:59:13 GMT

1. Access disk Low level ?!

2. Low level hard disk access

3. Low level disk services - Usual newbie needs help type of message

4. Low-level disk read/write

5. Low-level disk control

6. Low level hard disk programming

7. Code to Low-Level read/write to Floppy Disks

8. Low level disk/file info from 32bit VC?

9. Floppy Disk Drive Low Level Programming Help!

10. Low level floppy disk stuff

11. Low-level disk i/o in DOS

12. Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.