Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.
Author Message
 Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.

Hello,

I want to write an OS, I already read the Intel 486 manual and all that
stuff; but I am having a hard time finding information on all the other
hardware.  Although Ralph Brown's Interupt List is great, I can't find
stuff like what location in memory is the boot sector loaded, or how to
access the mouse directly without the driver.

I am 15 years old so I can't go out and buy a ton of books, the resources I
have now are a few books borrowed from a friend and a lot of stuff of the
Internet.

Would any body be kind enough to point me to some of this information on
the Internet, where I could get free literature, or any body who wants to
get rid of an old book.

Sincerely,
Jeremias Sauceda

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.

Quote:

> Hello,

> I want to write an OS, I already read the Intel 486 manual and all that
> stuff; but I am having a hard time finding information on all the other
> hardware.  Although Ralph Brown's Interupt List is great, I can't find
> stuff like what location in memory is the boot sector loaded, or how to
> access the mouse directly without the driver.

> I am 15 years old so I can't go out and buy a ton of books, the resources I
> have now are a few books borrowed from a friend and a lot of stuff of the
> Internet.

> Would any body be kind enough to point me to some of this information on
> the Internet, where I could get free literature, or any body who wants to
> get rid of an old book.

> Sincerely,
> Jeremias Sauceda

Goto: http://developer.intel.com/design/mmx/manuals/

But, to view the manuals, you will need to obtain Adobe Acrobat.
Goto: http://www.adobe.com/ and push DOWNLOAD ACROBAT button.

Good luck...

Ciao,
B.

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.

: Hello,
:
: I want to write an OS, I already read the Intel 486 manual and all that
: stuff; but I am having a hard time finding information on all the other
: hardware.  Although Ralph Brown's Interupt List is great, I can't find
: stuff like what location in memory is the boot sector loaded, or how to
: access the mouse directly without the driver.
:
: I am 15 years old so I can't go out and buy a ton of books, the resources I
: have now are a few books borrowed from a friend and a lot of stuff of the
: Internet.
:
: Would any body be kind enough to point me to some of this information on
: the Internet, where I could get free literature, or any body who wants to
: get rid of an old book.

have a look around x2ftp.oulu.fi... there is tons of good stuff on that
site.  Don't worry that they advertise as a game programmer's site...
the stuff is often of general use.

Also, chip manufacturers will sometimes give data books away for free
They will even ship them to you for free!  Unfortunately intel is an exception... at least for the x86 series.  But they MIGHT get you data books for
some of the peripheral chips for free or almost free, I don
't know.  If you try to get data books from some company it will go off slightly
easier if you DON'T tell them you are a {*filter*}ager.  Usually I make up a company
name and pretend I am a business, they love that because if a business
uses one of their parts it means more orders for that part...

Another possibility if you have a local university is go talk to some of
the professors.  They may have a library of common data books and if they
think you are serious and like you you may get access to that.

Also DO NOT be afraid to come here with questions.  We like it when people
have honest questions they want to know the answer to... it takes our
mind off all the spam!  Sometimes some of us even write short demos to
illustrate a principle.

David

:
: Sincerely,
: Jeremias Sauceda

:
:

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.

Quote:
>I want to write an OS, I already read the Intel 486 manual and all that
>stuff; but I am having a hard time finding information on all the other
>hardware.  Although Ralph Brown's Interupt List is great, I can't find
>stuff like what location in memory is the boot sector loaded, or how to
>access the mouse directly without the driver.

>I am 15 years old so I can't go out and buy a ton of books, the resources I
>have now are a few books borrowed from a friend and a lot of stuff of the
>Internet.

>Would any body be kind enough to point me to some of this information on
>the Internet, where I could get free literature, or any body who wants to
>get rid of an old book.

The one book you should get is "The Undocumented PC".

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Really Low Low Low Level Stuff.

Quote:

> Hello,

> I want to write an OS, I already read the Intel 486 manual and all that
> stuff; but I am having a hard time finding information on all the other
> hardware.  Although Ralph Brown's Interupt List is great, I can't find
> stuff like what location in memory is the boot sector loaded, or how to
> access the mouse directly without the driver.

Hmmm... What kind of OS are you planning to do? Take a look of other
microkernels (linux, mach), they'll help you.

Quote:

--

a.k.a. tstrike/dawn

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Low level floppy disk stuff

2. SPIN - Continuos flow low to high to low

3. High Level ASM and Low Level ASM

4. memory low on stuff()

5. Low-level socket programming

6. Low level programming.