Strong Encryption for 8086 (16 bit)
Author Message
 Strong Encryption for 8086 (16 bit)

[cross posted - see headers]

I'm looking for a *strong* encryption algorithm the has been implemented
in 8086 assembler to use on the Psion PDA. ( Eg TwoFish, SkipJack.  )

I've got "intermediate" 8086 experience, lots of C and ZERO cryptoanalysis, so
I could struggle at porting some C code, but it would be ever so nice if
someone has implemented and tested this for 8086 already. Or can recommend an
algorithm that is the easiest to implement on a 16bit processor.

rgds,

Andy L.

--
Andy Lord
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Strong Encryption for 8086 (16 bit)

Quote:

> I'm looking for a *strong* encryption algorithm the has been implemented
> in 8086 assembler to use on the Psion PDA. ( Eg TwoFish, SkipJack.  )
> I've got "intermediate" 8086 experience, lots of C and ZERO cryptoanalysis, so
> I could struggle at porting some C code, but it would be ever so nice if
> someone has implemented and tested this for 8086 already. Or can recommend an
> algorithm that is the easiest to implement on a 16bit processor.

Borrow Bruce Schneier's Cryptography book from your library, it has C
source.
Then don't be to fast too assert that you must use assembly language
until you are certain that C (for example) won't do the job.
'_The_ Psion PDA' - which Psion PDA?
In particular which Psion has an x86 processor? Mine's ARM powered.

FatPhil
--
Phil Carmody
Not speaking for or on behalf of Nokia Telecommunications.

"At the showing of blue movies at Scotland Yard I take the precaution
of removing my glasses, which reduces the whole messy business to an
impressionist blur." John Mortimer, QC, 1978

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Strong Encryption for 8086 (16 bit)

Quote:

> I'm looking for a *strong* encryption algorithm...
> Or [it would be nice if someone] can recommend an
> algorithm that is the easiest to implement on a 16bit processor.

Consider using the CipherSaber algorithm, described at http://ciphersaber.gurus.com. It's simple but effective, has been reasonably well analyzed and should be quite easy to implement in 8086. I don't know if it would be the -easiest- to implement on a 16-bit processor. I think it would be a piece of cake, even on a 6502. I haven't bothered. I "rolled my own" in C.

It's biggest drawback for your situation would be that it leaves the generation of the 10 random bytes up to you. But that shouldn't be too hard. I believe there are a number of random number generation algorithms documented and rated for relative strength at counterpane.com.

cheers...ank
--

have anything worth living for? ... Answer these, if only to yourself!
PGP: **** 2047/DCDF9341:E273 AD0E F99A 8869 050B 5E92 0E47 C151 **** two

Wed, 11 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Strong Encryption for 8086 (16 bit)

Quote:

> > I'm looking for a *strong* encryption algorithm...
> > Or [it would be nice if someone] can recommend an
> > algorithm that is the easiest to implement on a 16bit processor.

> Consider using the CipherSaber algorithm, described at
> http://ciphersaber.gurus.com

I'll second that. It'll be a cinch to do it in 8086 assembler.

Quote:
> It's biggest drawback for your situation would be that it leaves the
> generation of the 10 random bytes up to you. But that shouldn't be too
> hard. I believe there are a number of random number generation algorithms
> documented and rated for relative strength at counterpane.com.

The ten random bytes don't have to very random, just different for every
file. Even two bytes of randomness will work good (but your chances of
reusing the same two numbers is only 1 in 65536). In a program I wrote
I used a hash of the current time and the name of the file being
encrypted. If you want a cheap hash algorithm (reusing your existing
code), feed this info into the RC4 generator, then use the first ten
bytes of output as the IV for the actual encryption.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Wed, 11 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Strong Encryption for 8086 (16 bit)
I recommend you algorithm RC2, because all operation using RC2 is
only 16bit and RC2 assume little endian. And RC2 can use 8 - 1024bit
key length.

Hideo Shimizu

Quote:

> [cross posted - see headers]

> I'm looking for a *strong* encryption algorithm the has been implemented
> in 8086 assembler to use on the Psion PDA. ( Eg TwoFish, SkipJack.  )

> I've got "intermediate" 8086 experience, lots of C and ZERO cryptoanalysis, so
> I could struggle at porting some C code, but it would be ever so nice if
> someone has implemented and tested this for 8086 already. Or can recommend an
> algorithm that is the easiest to implement on a 16bit processor.

> rgds,

> Andy L.

> --
> Andy Lord
> http://w3.to/lordcentre

Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Announce: 16-bit 8086 gcc and linker projects

2. 16 bit * 16 bit

3. Division 32-Bit/32-Bit with 16-Bit Register

4. Make 16 /32 Exe , calling TS 16-BIT DLL

5. 16, 16/32, 32 bit Forths: Pros/Cons?

6. Help: Bit Planing in VGA 16 (640 x 480 x 16)

7. Mult 2 32 bit numbers on 8086

8. 32 bit ST communicating with 16 bit VB

9. How to use SE at any color resolution (256, 16-bit, 32-bit)

10. Can I use 16 bit DLL and 32-bit exe together

11. Changing from 16-bit to 32-bit makes zillion duplicate symbols

12. 16-bit to 32-bit woes